check disk help

I have win xp pro and I don't have the Recovery Consale Installed.

I think the Recovery Consale is on the same win xp Disk.

Wen I Built my computer I got the win xp rpo disk and it should be on it.

Anyway I donot want to use the Recovery Consale.

I was on YouTube looking at the command chkdsk and they say you can run this in the win xp CMD DOS window.

You go to cmd DOS and type chkdsk c:
and it will tell you the disk is in use do you want to check the disk the next time it restarts.

And you type Y and then ENTER

And it will restart and check the disk.

What I want to know is this if sees any bad sectors and reports them this is ok this is what I want it to do.

Then I run chkdsk c: / R
and it sould mark the bad sctors as bad and any Data in the bad sectors it will relocate to good sectors.

I can run this in cmd DOS I know I can and people all over YouTube say you can as well.

But other people in the net say NO you need to run it from recovery consale?????
 
you can run it from a command prompt, what system do u have on vista and win 7, go to all programs, accessories, command prompt, and just type chkdsk.
 
thanks for help but

I have win xp pro and I want to run it on the same system.

What I would like to know now is this?

After I run chkdsk c: and t restarts and runs and I have that Blue screen and it tells me everything it is scanning.

If it sees any bad sectors it sould tell me.

Will it tell me on the Blue screen or after go to desktop and put a Massage there??
 
it will tell you when its scanning. And if I come across bad sectors I usually run a disk diagnostic by the running the hard drive makers utility so I know the drive is still healthy.
 
thanks but

this is what I did

I ran chkdsk c:
and it found a fue bad prablems and then it told me

use /F shitch to fix prablems.

What I want to know is this if /F fix bad sectores by marking them I get this.
But if there is Data in them it will be lost.

the /R will put Data in good sectores so why does it not say use /F /R

The /F would mark bad sectores and the /R will put the Data that was in the bad sectores in good ones.

what am I not getting??
 
Back
Top