Check out my Build!

spirit

Staff member
OK try running your PC without the faulty stick and see if you get any blue screens. When I had issues I tested the sticks individually and when I removed the faulty stick suddenly all my blue screens were gone. :)

bmx4637

:good: cool man, I appreciate the help

once I take care of the problem and no more blue screens, I'll post up here

-Alex

tremmor

In reference to a question about resizing for posting pictures.
Goto microsoft.com and query powertoys then look for image resizer. Small medium or large. large can work well and so does medium. It won't bother the orginals. thats good.

bmx4637

possible RAM upgrade and image size

I was hoping there would be some type of html to resize images. Picasa works for me since I need a url for an image to post here.

I was looking at RAM today if I would need a new stick. And not surprisingly the RAM I have now is discontinued lol after less than, what, a year and a half? :(

Current RAM (6GB triple channel): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286

I was looking at this one (12GB triple channel):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146

However my concerns are the lower latency and compatibility with my current mother board :http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58DE/

Will the lower latency be noticeable of 7 vs 9 on 1600MHz? (And if you see on my previous posts of MemTest the pics show 9-9-9-24 on my current RAM:confused:??)

the 12GB has the same pin and voltage for the mobo but is there anything else needed to check for mobo compatibility?

And to throw in the air, a possible mix and match RAM with my current RAM and other types of MHz, Latency, and capacity?:eek:

Last edited:

tech savvy

Nice build, should work well for ya, gl!

May I ask why you went with the 1366 over the 1155(z77) socket?

bmx4637

Hey Tech Savvy,
nice build for the new possible RAM?

I wanted to build a good computer with tried and true products that wouldn't break the bank too much. So The Sandy bridge 1155 was brand spanking new at the time of my build and I didn't feel like I really needed that. (keep in mind I bumped up this old thread: the build was in March of 2011)

-Alex

tech savvy

Hey Tech Savvy,
nice build for the new possible RAM?

I wanted to build a good computer with tried and true products that wouldn't break the bank too much. So The Sandy bridge 1155 was brand spanking new at the time of my build and I didn't feel like I really needed that. (keep in mind I bumped up this old thread: the build was in March of 2011)

-Alex

The ram you selected (Corsair@1600 9cas) will do fine with that mobo. When you mix and match ram you want to make sure there at least the same speed and cas(timing), or you'll have issues.

And as far as the mobo specs not matching the ram, thats an easy fix. Your mobo is going to defualt your ram to 1333@cas9, just go in the bios then into memory settings and set your speed/timings to the ram specs, save and exit.

bmx4637

New ram

ok, so I now have the new RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146

vengeance.JPG

:D
Corsair 12GB 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24

I wanted to check with MemTest86+ asap so I stuck in all three and after 21 hours its ok but I am doing more tests so I will post that up when it's all done.

Now the issue I would like to sort out is the memory settings under BIOS. I put everything to auto, but when I started the test it was not on 9-9-9-24, I think it was at 8-8-8 something. So I changed the bios settings to make it 9-9-9-24 but what about everything else under the settings? and how to change the voltage other than automatically detect necessary voltage and increase automatically if need be?

I will have to show a picture tomorrow how my bios looks like but there are things that show 3 settings of memory and some show 1N and 2N and shit like that, should I leave that all to auto?

Last edited:

claptonman

Leave all that on auto. Your voltages should be on auto, also. Unless you changed those to overclock, but it doesn't seem that way. Your RAM should be at 9-9-9 unless you changed it manually. 8-8-8 is actually faster, but usually requires extra voltage and could cause stability problems if you don't overclock it right.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah just put everything else on auto. 9-9-9-4 should be the default timings for that RAM, unless you bought the CAS-8 DIMMs, which you didn't.

bmx4637

Ok so here are the results for the memtest:

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

I don't really feel like testing each stick individually, may be redundant

Here are my settings for Memory:

image.jpeg

image%2520%25281%2529.jpeg

Should I just leave it that way?

-Alex

spirit

Staff member
Yeah it passed Memtest with no errors and so long as it's stable in Windows I say leave it. It's running at 9-9-9-24 like it's supposed to anyway, so it should all be stable.

Dowens98

Not a bad build! Eventually you should upgrade to 8 or 16 gigs of ram...then trade that HDD for a solid state.. Your PC will run like a God then!

spirit

Staff member
In case you hadn't noticed this tread is over 18 months old now and was bumped because the OP had a problem with his RAM.