Check out this test photo!

Geoff

VIP Member
Vroom_skies knows what this is, I took 6 shots at 15.1MP each using a 100mm macro lens on my Canon 50D (the sharpest lens I have). I just felt like seeing what it looks like when I combined all the images, I think it came out pretty good when you consider that the exposure was slightly different in the various shots.

497513703_eXDV8-X2.jpg

497513703_eXDV8-O.jpg

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
In my opinion it's not vivid. It does look great though, lots of detail.

Still, I don't know if I am missing something with the whole "6 pictures merged" thing... :p

TFT

VIP Member
In my opinion it's not vivid. It does look great though, lots of detail.

Still, I don't know if I am missing something with the whole "6 pictures merged" thing... :p

It looks very detailed but like ramodkk I don't know what I'm suppose to be looking for :eek:
How about posting a comparison photo for our education:D

Geoff

VIP Member
Nice! Now all it needs is a little edit job, which I have taken the liberty of doing myself. :D
Looks fake IMO, but thanks for trying :)

Here is the original photo at 100%, the top of the tower is out of focus but the rest is much sharper:

497513703_eXDV8-O.jpg

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow thats a real nice pic,love how you can see so much detail.

That must be one hell expensive camera. :D

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1211532 said:
Looks fake IMO, but thanks for trying :)

Oh no!!! Not another photography traditionalist!!! :eek:

wow thats a real nice pic,love how you can see so much detail.

That must be one hell expensive camera. :D

Well, It's a 50D, so go figure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Geoff, you might want to link the big version of the picture... it's fine on my computer, but I know my old one wouldn't of been able o handle it. :p

Egon

I can't read the little plates at the bottom that are attached to the chain. Not impressive. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
Bloody hell nearly 16Mb, I thought my computer crashed :D

Hahha, holy cow. You might want to just make that a link instead omega ;)

Oh no!!! Not another photography traditionalist!!! :eek:

Well, It's a 50D, so go figure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Geoff, you might want to link the big version of the picture... it's fine on my computer, but I know my old one wouldn't of been able o handle it. :p
That was the photo I had posted originally, the point I was trying to make was that when I merged 6, 15MP photos together you can see quite a bit of detail when zoomed up 100%, I'm going to try this more often :)

My goal was to capture the whole building, but since I had my 100mm lens I could only capture a portion of the building.

Nice, isn't that called an HDR image?

I took one a while back with my friends point and shoot camera
Not really, an HDR image is when you take multiple identical photos with different exposures and combine them together.

I agree with Omega on this one. It looked a bit over done in my opinion.

Here's my take on it.
Looks good :)

I should mention though that I did ZERO editing on this photo, this was simply taking from the camera in RAW, combined in Photoshop, and then saved as a JPEG.

I can't read the little plates at the bottom that are attached to the chain. Not impressive. :p
haha, wait until I try again :p

TFT

VIP Member
Ok I'm thick :D

How does merging 6 photos together give you a better photo, also what does it improve on over 1 15MP photo ?

Geoff

VIP Member
Ok I'm thick :D

How does merging 6 photos together give you a better photo, also what does it improve on over 1 15MP photo ?
The purpose was that by using my 100mm lens which is sharper then my 10-20mm lens, I could take 6 shots (since with the 100mm lens I can only capture a portion of the building) and then combine them together in Photoshop. Also by doing that you increase the resolution of the photo, making it something like a 30MP image, allowing the image to overall be sharper and allowing you to zoom in further without as much loss in quality/sharpness.

Punk

Staff member
I'm curious Omega, I had never heard this technique (or maybe I have but I didn't realize it...).

Do you mind posting the six pictures so I can see exactly how you did it? Basically it's like a panorama right?