Checking the battery with multimeter

h3donyst

Hi, I bought the new battery for my old Acer Aspire ES1-711, but the tray icon shows the battery as undetected, it doesn't hold charge.
I have tried:
  • Resetting the battery using the little hole on the back
  • Reinstalling the power/battery/chipset drivers
  • Updating the windows 10
  • Leaving it for a while to charge
  • Switching chargers
Screenshot_4.jpg
My thoughts are, it should at least detect the battery as empty even if not using the original charger, I'm using a universal one.

So... I would like to make sure the battery is ok or not, it's not uncommon to have a new faulty battery but I need to be sure so I can return it.
What wire combinations should I connect to my multimeter to check for the proper voltage?
IMG_20230428_170229.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a genuine OEM replacement battery? If not, that is most likely the problem. Most of these laptops don't like cheap generic batteries. Was it like this before you replaced it? If it's more than 5 years old, it's probably time to replace the laptop.

h3donyst

Are you using a genuine OEM replacement battery? If not, that is most likely the problem. Most of these laptops don't like cheap generic batteries. Was it like this before you replaced it? If it's more than 5 years old, it's probably time to replace the laptop.
I just sent the computer and battery model to the seller and he sold me this, it's not OEM.
I have no idea how it was before, I got the laptop with a swollen battery among other broken things. I'm trying to make it work for a kid. I fixed everything except the battery, the only thing I had to pay for ironically.

h3donyst

That would have been nice to know in your first post. The laptop is most likely trashed.
The laptop works, like I said, I fixed everything except the battery, but now I just want to know what wires I check to see If the battery is ok.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
just curious.why would you say the laptop is trashed?
I wouldn't trust a laptop that had a swollen battery. The charging system is most likely damaged and thats why it doesn't register a battery.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You have to open the battery to test it. why not simply connect it and see? I don't know the pinout of the battery, but it has 8 wires. Assuming I see the right battery, it is rated at 15.2v. Generally black wires are ground and you could test with one of them and each other wire until you find ~15v, but that could also be a voltage to a controller board inside the battery pack which outputs other regulated voltages, which would make sense considering the # of wires coming out. Assuming ATX colour coding, red is 5v, yellow is 12v, orange 3.3v, -12v blue, green is power on control.

I would test your charger to make sure it's output is correct.

h3donyst

You have to open the battery to test it. why not simply connect it and see? I don't know the pinout of the battery, but it has 8 wires. Assuming I see the right battery, it is rated at 15.2v. Generally black wires are ground and you could test with one of them and each other wire until you find ~15v, but that could also be a voltage to a controller board inside the battery pack which outputs other regulated voltages, which would make sense considering the # of wires coming out. Assuming ATX colour coding, red is 5v, yellow is 12v, orange 3.3v, -12v blue, green is power on control.

I would test your charger to make sure it's output is correct.
Thanks a lot, this is what I was looking for, I'll check the charger as well.