Checksum Error

davy

Hi folks, hope somebody can help me I'm getting desperate.

Started my computer a couple of days ago and got a checksum error and the option to restore defaults or enter setup, I chose restore defaults and the pc booted ok. Next time I turned on the PC I just got a black screen and after waiting a few minutes had to switch it off. Having looked on the web for a solution it was recommended I try changing the battery, this I did and it repeated the same routine as above, i.e. checksum error then booting then failing to boot at all next time. So right now I have to change the battery each time I want to boot. Funny thing is it doesn't matter what battery I use, old or new it results in the same sequence.

Anyone got a clue how I can break the cycle?

JamesC

Have you tried flashing your BIOS? There is usually jumper or switch on the mobo that will let you do this.

If you have upgraded or changed your BIOS recently, it could be the problem. I would assume the checksum error is because the size of the BIOS image differs from the previous one. Though saving settings on setup should fix this.

It could just be that your board is dead.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The jumper does not flash the bios, just restores the defaults. Flashing would be actually taking a new image and loading it to the ROM.

So you can't get past POST? I would suggest trying to flash it if you could find a new image. Maybe there's some flaw in the ROM that's showing up now and a new flash would resolve it...but if you can't boot I guess you can't flash :-/

davy

Thanks guys.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

After changing the battery the PC boots fine and runs perfectly but after a shut down it won't boot at all until I change the battery again.

lovely?

huh maybe a hardware problem manifesting itself on the board with physical side-affects like needing to refresh the power? (something like what i have to do with my modem every 20 damn minutes)