Choosing a new computer...

Xurich

Hi, guys. I'm new to these forums. :)

I'd like your opinions. I've been wanting to get a new system for quite a while now, and I think it's finally time. I was torn between building or buying for a while, but now I think I'm going to go with buying. I've decided on that because I have absolutely no experience building computers, and I know very little about it. I am willing to learn (and I intend on doing so soon), but I don't have the patience to deal with my current system any longer, so I think I'll save building one for down the road.

As for buying one, I'm not exactly sure what to get. I don't have a lot of money to spend. Around $700 - $900. I'm leaning towards the eMachines T6212. My friends think it's a good system, but I think they're just tired of hearing me complain about my current one. :p But compared to my current system, the T6212 is great.

Do you guys think it's a wise choice? I figure I can buy now and upgrade later if necessary. I've been hearing both good and bad things about eMachines, so I'm not quite sure. I don't want to buy a computer and have it be completely outdated in a year or two, because I probably won't be able to afford a large upgrade any time soon. I'd like to use this system for at least a little gaming. Do you think the T6212 is a bad choice? Do you think there's anything better out there that I could get for my money?

I realize that I'm a newbie, so I'd appreciate any guidance that you guys can give to me. Thanks. :)

penguinrusty

I wouldn't buy an eMachine. They're usually remade, or they just suck really bad. I had a friend whose dad's business upgraded to eMachines, and they all were broken, their network down, and their office in disarray (sp) within a week. If you're not doing gaming or anythingm that would be an OK system. I would go with a name brand, though. If you're going to buy, I would go with Dell. I would really stress building, though. I'm 14, and I built my own computer. It wasn't that hard. I'm sure you will be able to get a lot of help around here if you choose to go that route. Anyway, bottom line, God hates eMahcines.
Edit:I just noticed the specs on that compy. That actually looks really good for the prics, but the shared 128 mb vid card memory will make you cry. It would be a pretty good setup if you invested maybe $60 more into it.

Last edited:

Xurich

penguinrusty said:
I would really stress building, though. I'm 14, and I built my own computer. It wasn't that hard. I'm sure you will be able to get a lot of help around here if you choose to go that route.
As I said, I will probably look into building a system down the road. As it is, I know very little about building. I want to get off of my current system as soon as possible; my patience for it has run out, and I have no doubt that I'll be using it for a lot longer should I decide to build instead of buy right now.

penguinrusty said:
I just noticed the specs on that compy. That actually looks really good for the prics, but the shared 128 mb vid card memory will make you cry. It would be a pretty good setup if you invested maybe $60 more into it.
I've been using an Integrated 4 MB Graphics Controller for the past three and a half years. I consider the 128 MB Shared Video Memory to be an upgrade. :p But I don't have a problem spending an extra $60 on something better. I just don't know what. :confused:

Praetor said:
@xurich:
what is the intention of your new machine?
Well as I said earlier, I would like to use it for a little gaming. Probably nothing too hardcore. I'd like it to be able to run World of Warcraft without fault. A little photo and video editing as well.

penguinrusty

Praetor; correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't shared video memory take more memory from the computer's ram? Wouldn't that slow the computer and the graphics down? I saw a little disclaimer thingy about this in a dell ad, but I might have misinterpreted this as being bad when it's actually good.

That compy should be good for non-hardcore gaming and for vid and photo editing.

joshj

Yeh, shared video memory does use the RAM as it's memory, so it takes away from the RAM's usabilty.

That's the reason why upgrading the graphics card would really help in teh case of the t6212. I would recommend the 6600Gt for $150-200 PCI-Express. Or if you're on a budget, get a low-end nvidia 6600 or ATI X300.
Roger