choosing a new computer

dza1284

New Member
So I am looking to get a new computer. I have been look at hp. I am considering HP Pavilion Elite e9300z and Pavilion p6330f. There are about the same base price. I can get the P6330F tax free from a store for 589. I am assuming it is just the base model with basic features. The e9300z I am considering will have the following features. The underline are the added features. Anyway my computer knowledge is not extremetly high but it seems to me that the e9300z is a better computer. Any advice??

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon™ X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
FREE UPGRADE! 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Wireless-N LAN card
15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse
Microsoft® Works 9.0
Norton Internet Security™ 2010 - 3 year
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
 
Any sort of gaming at all? Kids?

What's the budget on this? We can probably find you something better. Most big box brands aren't what I'd call "quality"...
 
Last edited:
The computer will be used for everyday stuff. Also downloading music, videos, and browsing the internet. Just basic stuff.
 
Of the two that you've picked, the e9300z is absolutely the better one.

If you're really budget conscious, this plus an external DVD drive will do fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220021

It basically has a dual-core version of the cpu they use in Netbooks, but with a better graphics chip. It will be more than enough for internet and media usage, take up very little space, and will be very easy on your electric bill. (~40W) The downside is that as technology advances, this will start to feel "slower" much faster than more powerful ones, and can't be upgraded other than the hard drive and RAM. It'll still last a good while though. This isn't the route I'd take, personally, but I thought I'd let you know it's there.


If you want a more powerful one, both of the HP's you selected will do fine. They're actually pretty good as far as performance for the price goes. I would grab the e9300z, because it has a quad core and a discrete graphics card.

If you want higher quality parts, ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are custom builders that use the same off-the-shelf parts you'd get if you built your own computer, so the overall quality is much higher than what HP or Dell would give you. They also allow things like overclocking.
 
Last edited:
This was from a different forum. It seems two have differing opinions.

It looks to me that the HP P6330F is the better computer. http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_des...AY022AA%23ABA

It houses the i3 processor which is really new and pretty fast... faster than the Athlon x4 the other has. Also, this computer has a larger hard drive, so more room to store movies, music, pictures, etc. The i3 processor has the graphics processor on the actual processor (different that how it was ever done before) and from what I've heard it does a pretty good job, especially since you are just going to be using this computer for normal computer tasks.

The other computer has a dedicated graphics card which is more for playing games like Call of Duty or Crysis... "Gamers" games.

I like the HP P6330F. Same amount of memory as the other one as well.
 
The i3 is a bit faster than the athlon at some things, but the athlon is also new and is faster overall. You won't use either of them to their fullest extent for quite some time anyway, and AMD's socket AM3 will likely take upgrades for a lot longer than the intel.

The big difference in the two is indeed the GPU. The i3's onboard graphics really aren't that great. The Radeon 4350 in the other one isn't a gaming card at all, but it's a much better solution than an integrated chip. Overall, the AMD computer will have a longer useful lifespan than the one with the i3.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top