Choosing a new computer

Enquirer

Hey guys, I've been using a HP notebook running Windows10 for a long time now and now need something that I can use specifically for keeping track of financial stuff separately from all the social media crap on the notebook. It would never leave my living room, and would not need to be gaming performance, so I was looking at these new mini-desktop units as well. Then there's the choice of Windows or Linux to deal with... I've been told that Linux systems are more robust in the face of cyber attacks than Windows systems. I was wondering if anybody out there has dealt with this issue for themselves and could offer some guidance. Thanks.

If you are not already experienced with linux I would advise sticking with windows unless you really want to get in the weeds since there is a learning curve
Plus if a windows computer is kept updated regularly that can be secure enough for most users
What you're looking for can be done with most cheaper systems, it's just a matter of budget and what you want
Such as better quality case, keyboard, cpu, more ram etc
A mini PC could be suitable since heat will be less of an issue without a GPU for gaming and may even be more cost effective
A laptop can be carried anywhere you need if need be, and comes with keyboard/display
A regular desktop is more easily upgradeable etc etc

Enquirer

If you are not already experienced with linux I would advise sticking with windows unless you really want to get in the weeds since there is a learning curve
Plus if a windows computer is kept updated regularly that can be secure enough for most users
What you're looking for can be done with most cheaper systems, it's just a matter of budget and what you want
A mini PC could be suitable since heat will be less of an issue without a GPU for gaming and may even be more cost effective
A laptop can be carried anywhere you need if need be, and comes with keyboard/display
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply revolution221.
Although I am running Linux Lite on a very old desktop, your advice about Linux is sage. There are still many things I can't get used to, including the fact that infection doesn't seem to be a concern for memebers of the Linux community. Can't get my head around that one.
I'm happy to use the TV as a monitor and leave the computer permanently connected, which is why I include mini PCs in my considerations. I'm glad to see you look favorably upon them. My laptop has never left my living room in all the years I've had it.
That just leaves specification then. My gut tells me to avoid Celeron based machines and maybe look for the Core i3. I don't know where the Pentium would stand.
Your post has been helpful. Any further advice would be welcome.

Depends on what you want and what your budget is
I wouldn't consider anything less than 8GB of ram, an SSD, plus a halfway decent cpu
I cheaped out on a laptop for internet browsing with a ryzen 3250c and it was a disaster
Can't even load a 1080p youtube video without frequent stutter

beers

Staff member
including the fact that infection doesn't seem to be a concern for memebers of the Linux community. Can't get my head around that one.
Most malware is written against Windows targets as the Linux market share is suuuppperrr low for general desktop users. Trying to execute the same items isn't interpreted the same way so you don't have similar attack vectors as the code you're exploiting in Windows is vastly different than ones in a *nix environment.

Enquirer

Depends on what you want and what your budget is
I wouldn't consider anything less than 8GB of ram, an SSD, plus a halfway decent cpu
I cheaped out on a laptop for internet browsing with a ryzen 3250c and it was a disaster
Can't even load a 1080p youtube video without frequent stutter
That's great thanks revolution221. Looks like I'm homing-in on a min-PC with 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel Core i3, Wi-Fi, and with Windows10 pre-installed. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Enquirer

Most malware is written against Windows targets as the Linux market share is suuuppperrr low for general desktop users. Trying to execute the same items isn't interpreted the same way so you don't have similar attack vectors as the code you're exploiting in Windows is vastly different than ones in a *nix environment.
Hi beers. I guess I've been conditioned by my (until recently) exclusive use of the Windows environment to think that anti-virus software is indispensable, making me feel quite uneasy about having no AV on my old desktop which is now running Linux Lite. Although the Linux community seem quite cavalier about having no AV, I can't quite bring myself to trust my old desktop with my online banking just in case there's some hacker out there that is up for the challenge.

theitaliansauce

Totes agree... linux was not for me lol

Intel_man

VIP Member
Hi beers. I guess I've been conditioned by my (until recently) exclusive use of the Windows environment to think that anti-virus software is indispensable, making me feel quite uneasy about having no AV on my old desktop which is now running Linux Lite. Although the Linux community seem quite cavalier about having no AV, I can't quite bring myself to trust my old desktop with my online banking just in case there's some hacker out there that is up for the challenge.
If you're not going to dodgy sites on a regular basis, Windows Defender is fine.