Choosing/buying/building computer (Not really..)

KJS

New Member
I've been using my family's computer for a long time now, and I want to get my own computer and place it in my own room. (Yes I'm young, 14 :D) I live in Canada, and since you can get cheaper computers + better performing computers by building your own, I plan to build my own computer. Not exactly build though, I know that NCIX.com will build the computer for you (if you pay $25, seems good). I don't have the time to learn to build a computer, have no room for error and if for only $25 I can save the hassle it's worth it in my opinion. The only other place from Canada that sells parts online is tigerdirect.ca (but not building), and their prices are very similar.

Current Setup:
Sony VAIO VGC-RB50
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 (3.2 GHz)
FSB - 800MHz
512MB of PC-3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM
250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA(TM) HDD
15 inch ViewSonic LCD Screen

What I don't like:

I find that it is slow, sluggish and I want a faster computer for loading all my applications. Memory capacity is good enough for my needs. Screen I would like to be bigger, it's just too small.

Random Question:
My dad has told me to save my documents and all my stuff to the D drive, what is the point of this? He said it has something to do with all program files on C and if their is a virus, he can just reboot C or something?

Uses:

Mostly making word documents
Browsing forums + going on websites
Research, homework
Gaming (Free games, just on weekends when I have time)
Lots of security programs (I'm currently running Comodo Firewall, AVG Free, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware)
Music (All of the time when I'm on the computer)

Budget:
I'm not paying for it, but the lower the better.

I'm planning on getting some speakers with it too, anything with a subwoofer and two speakers is the most I will need. Operating system? I have no idea what 32-bit or 64-bit means.

Note: I want the desktop to be Wi-Fi, because I'm planning on keeping the computer I'm currently using (the VAIO). Should I just get the USB Plug-ins and just plug it in? The router I'm using is a 802.11g.
 
Last edited:
1. - Building isn't hard, i'm 14 and i did my first build and it is good.
2. - www.newegg.ca is coming
3. - Saving documents to a D doesn't matter, he is only relly saying that if the C dies you have your files. or if the OS corrupts you can keep everything, so there is no point doing what he says.
4. - What is your budget???
5. - You would want to get quad core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
6. - Do you need a mouse and keyboard, monitor etc???
7. - for something like this you want a budget of around $1300 or so....
8. - I can do a good build for you.
9. - For Wifi, you would get PCI card, they are cheap. I can include that into the build price as well.
 
I think you could put together a nice build for roughly $800-$1,000, depending on what kind of games you are going to be playing.
 
I would buy a desktop. I build them and buy them, I guess its your choise. some times its cheeper to buy a desktop then to built one. I built one about 2 years ago and then I bought a new one last year... I guess what ever flots your boat.
 
If you aren't going to be doing any serious gaming, than sometimes you can find retailers running pre-builts for good prices. But when it comes to the quality:price ratio building will always beat buying, because when you buy a PC from say Dell or Gateway you are paying them for not only the parts but also the labor to build it.
 
If you aren't going to be doing any serious gaming, than sometimes you can find retailers running pre-builts for good prices. But when it comes to the quality:price ratio building will always beat buying, because when you buy a PC from say Dell or Gateway you are paying them for not only the parts but also the labor to build it.

You are 100% correct.... but dont buy a dell go with a Gateway.
 
$800 I believe would be my budget.

I'm not going to do any serious gaming, just real casual chill out on weekend style of gaming. Should I get an external hard drive and just every week I'll copy all my stuff to the external hard drive and if my computer crashes or something, I'll have a backup? I see 1TB of memory at Bestbuy for like $130.
 
I save all my valuable documents, apps ect on D drive.
I reformat about twice a year and it saves alot of time from moving things over (I also do back ups).
Your dad means if he has to a reformat your stuff won't get wiped. And he wouldn't want to wipe your stuff out.
 
Last edited:
$800 I believe would be my budget.

I'm not going to do any serious gaming, just real casual chill out on weekend style of gaming. Should I get an external hard drive and just every week I'll copy all my stuff to the external hard drive and if my computer crashes or something, I'll have a backup? I see 1TB of memory at Bestbuy for like $130.

OK, Here is a Build:


Total - Rebates - $879.92
Total - No Rebates - $764.92

That is $115.00 off on rebates.


I hope this is all you need, if not, you will have to add it onto this.

This is a very good build, it will be quick as well.

That is just the box.

This is the OS that you will want - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493 - $179.99 - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Service Pack 1 (SP1)

As for the External Hard Drive - I don't think you will need to, not very often does something crash. If so, you can easily get the files back.

You can always partition the hard drive, and save the files on a partition.

If you have any questions, post them and i'll be happy to answer them for you.

Cheers
 
If your just getting a computer to play around with you can get a computer that is pre-built for under 500 dollars. Check whole sellers like outlet PC.

Also, I usually move important files to an external source maybe once a month. You really don't have to do it every week unless you add really important stuff all the time.
 
$800 I believe would be my budget.

I'm not going to do any serious gaming, just real casual chill out on weekend style of gaming. Should I get an external hard drive and just every week I'll copy all my stuff to the external hard drive and if my computer crashes or something, I'll have a backup? I see 1TB of memory at Bestbuy for like $130.

There's no such thing at 1TB of memory :P That'd a interesting though :D

There IS such thing as 1TB of HDD space.
 
all I'm going to say is that I think that computer might be a little bit of overkill:) I can still do light gaming on my parents computer thats around 3.0ghz single core cpu, horrible graphics card, and 256mb of ram. Now that is a horrible rig, but this one may bit more than you need with quad core, 4 gigs, and that graphics card will do way more then you need it to. I would agree with the people who say to just get a prebuilt one. if you are going to build you will want to keep the computer itself under about 550, since you still need an os, monitor, keyboard, speakers, and any other accesories.
 
This seems like a pretty good deal, I find that $800 for my needs might be an overkill, and I want to keep the cost low.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10107087&catid=20217

$549.99 CDN

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed: 2.4GHz
RAM: 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity: 500GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives: DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

I only need to add a monitor, keyboard/mouse, and speakers and I'm complete.

Acer 20" Widescreen LCD: $219.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10093872&catid=22559

Microsoft Wireless Keyboard + Mouse: $29.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10059872&
catid=20391&logon=&langid=EN

Logitech 2.1 Computer Speaker System: $39.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10106268&catid=26557

TOTAL COSTS
= $839.96

----
How is that?
 
Okay thanks guys, I'll be checking at various websites and stuff, comparing prices.

Anyone else want to comment on the setup I plan on buying?
 
Back
Top