Choosing the best ram for my PC

TMGL&L

So I just installed Windows 7 64 bit and I want to add more memory to my system. Why? Graphic artwork, video editing, multi tasking, gaming you name it. The main reason I want to add more ram is just because I want too and I confess that I'm a geek at heart...... So THERE, I said it!

... so moving right along...

I'm a little overwhelmed with choosing the best ram for me so I am looking for some suggestions from people who actually know a thing or two about it.

So here is a list of some of the hardware I have:
-CPU: core 2 quad q6600 (2.4 ghz I think)
-Mobo: ASUS P5K EPU
-Current RAM: two 1 gb sticks of ocz DDR2 800 sticks

The CPU specs say that its FSB is 1066MHz and the voltage is 0.85V – 1.5V. The mother board is dual channel, four slots, 8gb support, the fsb is 1600/1333MHz, the "memory standard" is DDR2 1200(OC)/1066. The ram I have now is fine and I rarely have problems associated with it during normal usage. I just want to upgrade to something bigger, better, and faster but I don't know what half this stuff means!!!:eek:

I want to experience a big jump in overall performance and speed. Whenever I decide to learn more about the subject I want to have lots of room to OC with all of my hardware. The cost of the sticks don't matter so much as the quality of the deal to me(ya'know, a good price/performance ratio). I would settle for less than 8gb I guess but it would be nice to fill all those slots and see what its like to use my mobo's max memory capacity...

I'm assuming I can't jump for DDR3 with my board. I'm also assuming I can't exceed 1066 with the ram because my cpu specs only say 1066. Am I totally wrong on that? :confused:I'll stop shooting in the dark and let smarter ppl do my thinking:D

Can anyone post links to some ram on ne that is compatible well priced?

thx a bunch

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you want to use your existing ram or spring for all new? How much total ram do you want?

canivari

Your board can run with DDR2 RAM from 667Mhz until *1333Mhz (*OC).
The FSB from your CPU doesnt have nothing to do with your RAM frequencies..
The only thing that you need to know is higher frequency get you better performance and the CL (Cash latency lower better,that is the time that the ram takes to unload data and load again).
That said you only need to choose how much you want to spend in RAM and buy the correct RAM for your system..
Buying the correct RAM:
You can check the online manual from ASUS and check the RAM that they tested in that board and they aprove or you can go for example to:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con.../EPU+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

and it will give you the exact RAM that works in your system.
Hope that helps

TMGL&L

Thanks for the tips ill check the link at at asus to see what they have to say...

And as for the ram I have now I wouldn't object to just trashing it or storing it for later use or something.I think the sticks I have now are nearing three years old now.

...basically I would prefer getting all new memory, and 8 gigs of it if i can afford it.

jerry555

banned
Your system configuration if fine to run all those graphics staff. You should try 2GB Ram.It will make a difference.

jerry555

banned
System Configuration is fine. I prefer that you use 2GB Ram.It will run your programs properly. You will see the difference.

daisymtc

May be another 2 x 2GB?
And your mobo support upto DDR2 1200, but I think DDR2 1066 is the way to go when comparing to the price.

Last edited: