Choosing TV Cards

laxma

i'm planning to buy TV cards. my budget limit is around 70 US$. I will use this card mainly for recording TV show and my PS2 (is it possible?)
The most TV card available in my country is hauppage and pixelview. which one is better (generally), or perhaps anyone can suggest other brand.
I want a high resolution recording (capturing), probably MPEG2 quality.

Thanks for any advice

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I want a high resolution recording (capturing), probably MPEG2 quality.
Im assuming you mean "spec-MPEG2" as in 480x480/576 @ 29.97/23.976/25 Hz as opposed to FileMPEG2 (which is just any random file encoded with the MPEG2 codec).

Ive not heard of pixelview but a few of the haupaugge cards that ive played with can do that (they run 640x480 ... TV resolution, by default) which is easily encodeable to MPEG2 ... should be able to get a decent one within that budget ... as for recording PS2 ... ive never done it but it should be doable I would think as you'd just have to do a TVOut/PS2Out --> VideoIn

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
From the specs, seems like a solid card... then again im sure most cards have very similar specs... the Hauppage one i had was a serious pain in the arse to get going but eventually it worked out ok. Off the top, i dont see anything wrong or odd about the Prolink there :)