Chrome Suspicious connections blocked

johnnyb58

I asked earlier about problems with Chrome and losing my internet connection. So, I’m having problems again and decided to run Bitdefender to check on things.

I noticed that I have a long history of Chrome Suspicious connections blocked and it says:

Feature: Online Threat Prevention

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to us.shb-sync.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

I don’t know what this means, but there are 38 Chrome Suspicious connections blocked and the antivirus scan says everything is clean.

Could this be what’s happening with my interconnection?

Darren

Staff member
It's pretty much just telling you that a site you visited (or an ad hosted on a site you visited) has an expired certificate. On it's own, it's not really a problem and can probably be safely ignored. Certificates just serve as a way for client and host to handshake and verify each other's identity. If the cert is expired, you won't be able to connect.

I'd guess a site you're visiting regularly just has a bad cert. I googled that URL too and see a few other people mentioning Bitdefender citing the same URL and it was an ad on a news website causing it.