cleaing inside my computer??

CraigMB

i was readin on this one site....itr showed a illustration of a dude holdin on to a plugin in light and sprayin the compressed air ....sumthin about to dissipate static...is that tru?

[/quote]Once the top of the case is off, you'll be able to see the circuit board and lots of other stuff. Take the can of air and with the extension, blow out all the dust. Work in one constant direction, and reach into crevices to get it all (don't force the extension between anything, though). There's no need to touch any part of the circuit board. Finish it off by removing the extension from the can, and blowing a few short blasts over the computer, to help keep any disturbed dust from settling back in. Before putting the top back on, blow out the stuff that's collected in the vents.[/quote]

that is from a website i visited

see i know sh8t bout what i'm doin ..but it needs ta b done and if they are easy ways of no mistakes could ya tell me ....i know static will fry the computer parts...somthin bout dont touch componets.......But a easier question is ...by touch everything with a q tip without breakin stuff would that mess up anything

gamerman4

just as long as you discharge all static, you can touch all the parts you want When you open the computer, the best thing to do is touch the power supply, its the big box with all the power cords and stuff coming out of it. just touch the metal case on that and any static should be discharged and you can go about cleaning your case. Compressed air is very useful and if your gonna use a q-tip for cleaning, I recommend using Isopropyl Alcohol (99% is best but %70 will do fine) since alcohol will remove more stuff. Water can leave residue and such and it can cause shorts if left on components.

CraigMB

..See this is exactly why i cam here :) ...them other dodo brains over at techguy....was tellin me i couldnt touch any thing and sh*t and not gimme me enuff info...i preciate it man ......

Antiodontalgic

Cleaning

I would recommend wearing a anti-static band around your wrist while cleaning if you don't have one just touch the chassis every once in a while to make sure you don't have any static charge.

Diffently use compressed air like Duster. Like gamerman4 said use alcohol it will dry faster so you don't need to worry about frying your parts when you turn it back on..

Enjoy.

CraigMB

Diffently use compressed air like Duste??????whats dose the chassiss part look like ?

where can i get a anti static band at?

Yasu

The chassis is your computer case basically and you can probably get an anti-static band at most electronic stores. The places that would have them for sure are CompUSA, Fry's Electronics, etc.

helmie

Theres still a chance that your components get fried from static if you dont wear a anti static band. Wouldnt it be a bugger if you said "I dont need a anti static band" then your £2500 FX-60 system went coo-coo from static?

Its always better to be safe than sorry. :D

CraigMB

lol ....so if i wear a static band and touch the case i take off every now and then ...i can dust off everything with a q-tip 99% alchol...and how far do i hold the canned air away from the inside??????

I'm sorry but but let me get this straight the chassis...is the cover of the computer???

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

about 4 inches away to get the open areas clean, but you can put the nozzle closer it need be, just dont put the nozzle too close to the circutry beacause dust can imbed in the Mobo etc.

fade2green514

actually, yea you need to ground yourself if youre handling a computer part...
but if youre just working inside the case, you dont. the case is grounded... thats why they put the parts in it, and the psu is grounded as well. its completely surrounded in metal and thats what grounds it.

i did this the other day. i went out side and took my air compressor and made it up to like....30 psi and then took the blowing thing and it took all the dust and dirt off. the thing looked like a brand new computer and i didnt have to wipe anything ... im just going to go outside every once in a month and just spray it down with air just to keep dust and hair out of the fans and out of every where else.

Ku-sama

banned
i took a POS computer out to my garage and turned my PSI up to 190.... and basically i ripped the circuts to hell :p

CraigMB

PSi???? what ???? is u talkin bout the can air ...it has a place where u can turn up the air?????? if so what level should i put mine on ...never handled one

Greg J.

VIP Member
As for "chassis", he means the edge of the metal frame of the inside of your case. Try grabbing its edges with both hands before you touch each computer part just to be safe.
en72553.jpg

CraigMB

cool man preciate it

No, hes talking about and air compressor, not a spray can

yea i know the cannister air that they was talkin bout.....how do i work that?

i've never seen one or even heard of one intill yesterday

gamerman4

yea i know the cannister air that they was talkin bout.....how do i work that?

i've never seen one or even heard of one intill yesterday

It's basically like an aerosol can which you spray air freshener with, but instead it is an air propellant. Basically compressed air in a can. Just remember not to turn it upside-down, it doesn't use aerosol as its propellant, it is a VERY cold liquid that vaporizes into gas when sprayed normally but when turned upside-down, you can give yourself frostbite in about 2 seconds.

Last edited: