cleaing inside my computer??

Motoxrdude

gamerman4 said:
but when turned upside-down, you can give yourself frostbite in about 2 seconds.
Not true! It does leave a frost on things, but when you spray your self with it upside down it just feels like an icecube touching you.

Greg J.

VIP Member
He'll be fine. If you do not like the feeling of coldness or chemicals, you can wrap the can in a 100% cotton towel or wash cloth. :)

Last edited:

Ku-sama

banned
Motoxrdude said:
Not true! It does leave a frost on things, but when you spray your self with it upside down it just feels like an icecube touching you.

pssh, tell that to my poor leg, me and my bro got into a war with them and he sprayed my leg, and i peeled off a frozen layer of skin, so maybe dry ice :p

Motoxrdude

Maybe all air cans arent the same... I know i covered my hand in that crap and it melted almost instantly, but then again, i have only been shot with it with about a 4 second burst...

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Well, if the contact point is the same you will get frostbitten rather quickly. If you pull the trigger ever so slighlty (while can is upside down) and let it drip, you can hit the same spot about 5 times till your skin will turn white. Give it a try if ya can take it lol. J/king.

tomcatuk

The dust you'll be blowing out is charged and none too healthy to breathe in - this is a job to do outside, particularly if you have children in your house. I take my system out into the back garden once or twice a year to do this. It's definately worthwhile - my ti4600 card died due to an excessive buld up of dust clogging the fan.

tomcatuk

Whoa - vacuum cleaners generate a huge static charge in the nylon of the nozzle - don't get anywhere near PC components with one!

gamerman4

Maybe all air cans arent the same... I know i covered my hand in that crap and it melted almost instantly, but then again, i have only been shot with it with about a 4 second burst...

Yeah, most definitely not all are made the same because I know that if I were to shoot you for 4 seconds with the stuff I get, you will either be peeling a dead layer of frozen skin off your hand or your hand would be VERY cold for an hour. Also, this stuff gets really cold inside the can, if you blast air for about 10-15 seconds stright, the can will get extremly cold and water will start to condensate on it. It would rpolly freeze after a while too.

Greg J.

VIP Member
gamerman4 said:
Yeah, most definitely not all are made the same because I know that if I were to shoot you for 4 seconds with the stuff I get, you will either be peeling a dead layer of frozen skin off your hand or your hand would be VERY cold for an hour. Also, this stuff gets really cold inside the can, if you blast air for about 10-15 seconds stright, the can will get extremly cold and water will start to condensate on it. It would rpolly freeze after a while too.

Nice. But, wouldn't wearing thick rubber or leather gloves protect against that? :p LOL

Xycron

banned
tomcatuk said:
Whoa - vacuum cleaners generate a huge static charge in the nylon of the nozzle - don't get anywhere near PC components with one!
What kind of vaccum has nylon? mine sure doesn't :p

Xycron

banned
gamerman4 said:
It's basically like an aerosol can which you spray air freshener with, but instead it is an air propellant. Basically compressed air in a can. Just remember not to turn it upside-down, it doesn't use aerosol as its propellant, it is a VERY cold liquid that vaporizes into gas when sprayed normally but when turned upside-down, you can give yourself frostbite in about 2 seconds.
That is unless it actully is aa compress air can :rolleyes: There are many differnt kinds.

johnjohn

I would never reccomend using a vacuum on your computer. NEVER. Take a can of air and use it. and a soft non scratching towel and some q-tips. Be smart. Computer gear is just too expensive.

fistsoffire1986

tomcatuk said:

johnjohn said:
I would never reccomend using a vacuum on your computer. NEVER.

I too have swept out a pc with a vaccum. Its old, Compaq MV5000 series:Duron 700 320MB ram. Nothing huge to lose but its not mine to be wasting either. However it sucked up the massive chunks of dust that consumed the poor PC for over 5 years. (first time it had been cleaned) It's still going strong and I haven't got any messages saying : you cleaned your computer with a sweeper! The system will now crash and burn!

Just don't be stupid and careless, and if your computer is worth even $300 or more, then don't be so cheap as not spending $5 for compressed air, or being too lazy to go out to your garage and firing up the air compressor.