Cleaning CPU

bbudesa

I built a computer a few years back, and as happens with most, it's slowing a bit due to unneeded files and extraneous crap.

I'd like to clean this thing up and get rid of hidden files, etc.

What's the fastest, easiest, and least costly way to scrub a CPU to get rid of unwanted junk slowing things down?

thanks,

Bob

beers

Staff member
You mean, eradicate useless data residing on your storage medium? :p
From the description I was expecting a 'how to clean thermal paste' off of a processor type of thread. :)

It kind of depends. If you have a backup medium for the data you actually want to keep (and realize what data may get wiped if you forget), then usually you can back up what's valuable and reformat/reinstall Windows. Once the system is set back up you can just move back over the files you had backed up.

Otherwise you can generally go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features and uninstall a lot of the programs you haven't used in months. You can also view and regulate what boots at startup from Run -> msconfig

Darren

Staff member
CPU = Central Processing Unit which is the brain and processor of the entire computer. You probably just are wanting to clean up your hard drive. In that case just go through uninstall programs in the control panel and remove anything you don't use. If you don't know what it does, google it. After you've down that, run CCleaner (while making a backup), and do a defrag and virus scan for good measure.

Or if it's easy enough for you to do, just wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows as beers said.

bbudesa

I've used CCleaner (as well as Malwarebytes) for quite some time, but maybe just haven't had all the right boxes checked.

Which boxes do you recommend to check under 'Internet Explorer', 'Windows Explorer', 'System', and 'Advanced'?

radical24

I reccomand having all the boxes checked, this will delete internet history and automatic login stuff for websites(if you had that enabled) but i think it's worth it, if you don't want that then you can uncheck that

Tuffie

I reccomand having all the boxes checked, this will delete internet history and automatic login stuff for websites(if you had that enabled) but i think it's worth it, if you don't want that then you can uncheck that

Bad advise. Autocomplete form history, saved passwords pretty much everything under the 'Advanced' tab in CCleaner will have little to no effect on performance.

bbudesa

I was wondering about that! I actually didn't check any of those boxes until I heard from a few other members.

I just wanted a second opinion before making a big move.

Thanks to all,

Bob

Darren

Staff member
Yeah you're going to want to focus more on getting rid of extra programs that aren't used then running the registry cleaner in CCleaner.

bbudesa

gotcha! It's getting a little clearer now as to what slows down machines, and what doesn't.

thanks all very much for your wisdom and advice.

Bob