cleaning?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Alcohol on a microfiber cloth or or simply an alcohol swab is fine. Coffee filters also work great as they wont leave fibers behind. Spray onto the cloth and wipe vs spraying on screen.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think using alcohol on a computer screen is a very good idea.
You do realize that the cleaning wipes you buy at the store are alcohol based? The reason why is because it evaporates quickly.

netrick

I don't use cleaning wipes. A towel lightly dampened with plain old water gets the job done and is a lot cheaper.

netrick

I've read that using alcohol to clean a computer screen is a bad idea. Since you all seem to have had good results with using alcohol as a cleaner, I won't argue the point further. Some links to a couple of my sources (that are apparently incorrect) are:

https://www.consumerreports.org/computers/how-to-clean-a-computer/
"Don't use ammonia, ammonia-based window cleaners, alcohol, or other chemicals, Asedillo warns, because they may damage the display's coating. "Harsh cleaners can damage a screen's anti-glare properties and even make a touchscreen less responsive," says Asedillo. TV, tablet, and smartphone owners should heed this advice, as well. "

https://www.digitalinnovations.com/can-clean-laptop-alcohol-5-safe-methods-clean-computer-screen/
"Can I Clean My Laptop with Alcohol? Short answer: “No.”

Last edited:

OmniDyne

50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a microfiber cloth

And your reason is....?

As far as I understand, it's the same reason you shouldn't use isopropyl alcohol on eye glasses. Supposedly it eats the scratch resistant coating away. Microfiber and water should suffice.

I don't use cleaning wipes. A towel lightly dampened with plain old water gets the job done and is a lot cheaper.
Same here, some cheap textured towel/washcloth gets it done just fine
Then again, I only have a cheap samsung space saver monitor plus a second from my college days
If I had something high end, I would go a bit more eleborate

jedccop

WOW!,not really sure what the answer is then?,i think i will try plain old water on a cloth......thanks anyway

StrangleHold

Staff member
I just use warm water with a soft cotton rag. I have heard that using alcohol over a period of time will yellow or milk carton a plastic screen.