Clock speed seems low...

Dirkgently

I have an acer aspire 1524 WMLi with AMD64 3400+ processor and 1.25Gb RAM (which I upgraded from 512Mb). The clock speed says it is 1.69GHz, and to me this seems very slow - I am sure my PC (AMD Athlon 2800+XP) runs at over 2.0 GHz. Can anyone tell me if this is actually slow and if so, what I can do about it please. Thanks.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Dirkgently said:
I have an acer aspire 1524 WMLi with AMD64 3400+ processor and 1.25Gb RAM (which I upgraded from 512Mb). The clock speed says it is 1.69GHz, and to me this seems very slow - I am sure my PC (AMD Athlon 2800+XP) runs at over 2.0 GHz. Can anyone tell me if this is actually slow and if so, what I can do about it please. Thanks.

the mobile amd 64 has the powernow feature which lowers the clock speed depending on cpu usage. the maximum clock should be 2.2 ghz but thats only if you are doing something very cpu intensive.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
the mobile amd 64 has the powernow feature which lowers the clock speed depending on cpu usage. the maximum clock should be 2.2 ghz but thats only if you are doing something very cpu intensive.

Just for reference, that is correct.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I beleive the software's called SpeedSwitchXP which allows you to better control the speed of your processor. I actually keep my Sempron in my laptop clocked to around 800MHz just to save battery power. You can actually lock the speed at what you want and have different settings for AC or DC. Though, I'm not 100% sure it'll work with the Athlon 64...

Dirkgently

thanks for the help all - that all makes perfect sense - thought I had somehow screwed it up when adding the extra RAM. Thnaks again :)