Clone with Samsung Data Migration to a smaller drive

Snowwie

I have done this before when I sold my old 512GB Samsung 950 Pro ssd and migrated my OS + all programs on it to a 1TB Sata Samsung drive, because the 512GB became to cramped for all my games.

Now I am intending to do the reverse, I want to buy a relative faster Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB m.2 ssd and keep the majority of the games on the single 1TB Samsung Sata SSD. The only thing that will stay on the fast m.2 ssd are Windows, a few programs and a few games I regularly use.

A 500GB drive will show up with a capacity of 465GB.
Currently I have on my C-drive (which is 1TB) 569GB in use.
Please note that all my Origin and Steam games are on that drive and I can easily do a migration from one folder to another. Also I have still GTA5 on that drive, a game a barely play anymore. That map alone is good for 85.9GB.

My question is, when I create less than 465GB of data on my current C-drive will Samsung Data Migration have no problem with copying the whole OS + remaining programs and games to the new m.2. drive?

OmniDyne

My question is, when I create less than 465GB of data on my current C-drive will Samsung Data Migration have no problem with copying the whole OS + remaining programs and games to the new m.2. drive?

It will transfer without issue, in theory. I've used Samsung's data migration tool about 3 times in the past month going from 1TB hard disks to 500GB 860 EVOS without problem.

Now I am intending to do the reverse, I want to buy a relative faster Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB m.2 ssd and keep the majority of the games on the single 1TB Samsung Sata SSD.

Why are you wanting to do this? Why not just buy a multi-terabyte hard disk for your games?

Darren

Staff member
For what it's worth the speed benefits across different interfaces is basically negligible outside of benchmarks. Set up what is ever easiest to manage and run with it.

Cloning wise yeah I think you can do what you want. Macrium Reflect Free would do it as well, if Samsung can't.

Snowwie

Why are you wanting to do this? Why not just buy a multi-terabyte hard disk for your games?
Because hard disks are relatively slow and I play the game Cities Skylines a lot which requires a lot of assets to be copied into memory. Furthermore, I want my computer completely free of hard disks since these things always cause my case to resonate.