Cloned HDD not booting

Twinbird24

I followed the tutorial on this forum to clone an HDD using clonezilla. I cloned an 80GB IDE hard drive to a 500GB SATA hard drive. The BIOS recognized the new 500GB Barracuda 7200.12, and it even recognizes it in My Computer and I'm able to store data on it. But for some reason it doesn't boot up. I cloned the MBR from the original disk as well. I tried booting up with the new HDD with the cloned data on it, I checked BIOS to make sure it was recognized, and it was, and the SATA adapters were all enabled on the mobo, but all I get is a flashing white dash in the top left corner of a black screen when I try to boot the HDD. Why can't I boot from the HDD?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Problem might be you cloned a IDE drive to a SATA. And you have the SATA ports enabled, probably in AHCI mode. See if you have a setting to change the SATA ports to IDE mode.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah thats an old 939 socket board and possibly required the sata controller driver at install. As Stranglehold as said if changing the sata controller setting to ide doesn't doesnt help then you will have to do a fresh install of windows most likely.

Twinbird24

Thanks for the replies. There is no setting to change SATA ports to the different modes, I can only enable or disable them, so I will have to do a fresh install then.

Platinum

I'm not familiar w/ that software but I know w/ Acronis you need to mark the partition as active to be able to boot to it. It's a simple checkbox that's easily overlooked if you don't know. Is there anything option like that when youre dropping the image onto the drive?