Cloning a boot drive? software?

curtains

What software can I clone a boot drive with so it runs exactly the same as the original drive.

I want to do this cause I just bought a SSD (Intel X25-M) and want to move my current setup over without having to reinstall everything, and resetup everything, essentiall I just want to clone the whole drive.

SSD's 80GB my current boot drive is 320GB, but I only use 40GB

so what software out there that I can use.

I have Acronis True Image, but I can't seem to get it working, anyone know of any other simpler software? or what have they done?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If ayou are going from a stand hdd to an ssd, I wouldn't take the chance of making your ssd slower with what you are running now. I would highly recommend doing a fresh install, that way you know you are getting your max speed from the ssd.

curtains

I'd rather not do a fresh install, i'd rather it run a bit slower than spend hours and hours reinstalling and resetting up everything, I don't mind it being slower than normal, as long as its faster than the old drive.

Benny Boy

I don't mind it being slower than normal, as long as its faster than the old drive.

im no eggspert, but, as stated by a man who knows, youre ssd will take a big hit on performance if you clone it. the ssd cant be defragged, so itll more than likely need erasing before too long w/ cloning. better to spend the time now and fresh install. then you will have not only the spped of youre ssd, but longevity of youre setup.
or maybe you dont need an ssd,,,just a diff hdd.

Last edited:

paulcheung

im no eggspert, but, as stated by a man who knows, youre ssd will take a big hit on performance if you clone it. the ssd cant be defragged, so itll more than likely need erasing before too long w/ cloning. better to spend the time now and fresh install. then you will have not only the spped of youre ssd, but longevity of youre setup.
or maybe you dont need an ssd,,,just a diff hdd.

If the fragment on the hard drive is an issue? can't he just defragment the hard drive and transfere some unneccesary files before he clone the drive?
Just a thought, I do understant what he is try to avoid. try to install all the drivers and the program files is not an easy task.

tremmor

If ayou are going from a stand hdd to an ssd, I wouldn't take the chance of making your ssd slower with what you are running now. I would highly recommend doing a fresh install, that way you know you are getting your max speed from the ssd.

Won't get know argument with me there. I lend up and brought up before. if and did backup windows 7 Pro. No quick format, full format, took updates, and did i think install basic programs i used. i did. got the email clients working firefox and back up. MS office then update then backed up.
that was it. clean install. i would not even check email because of what ya said.
back up and done. then install the others.

Last edited: