Cloning a Windows 10 System Drive

Zeno

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 notebook computer. The computers is getting old but it has served me well over the years. I love the way I have my hard drive set up with Windows 10 operating system and all my applications software installed.

Recently the hard drive has been making horrible noises when it first starts up. After running for a while it seems to quiet back down and run smoothly again. But apparently it's very near the end of its life.

My question is, "Can I make a clone of this hard drive before it dies so I can just stick the replacement drive back in the computer and boot up on the new drive without having to reinstall everything?"

I'm not worried about data files. I have all my data backed up. But I don't want to lose the entire operating system and all my installed software just because the hard drive fails.

I have an Aukey Docking/Cloning station. I currently have two drives in that station where I back up all my data. So all the data is backed up already.

But I don't know how to make a clone of the SYSTEM drive with the OS and all my installed software.

~~~~~~~

I tried the following but it didn't work:

1. I told the current drive out of the notebook computer.
2. I placed it the cloning station with a new empty drive.
3. I cloned the drive and it seemed to work just fine.

But now for the problem.

When I place the cloned drive back into the Notebook computer it doesn't recognize it! It won't boot up on the clone.

But if I stick the original drive back in it boots right up.

How can I get the newly cloned drive to boot up? It's the same notebook computer. It's not like I'm trying to copy a system disk onto a different computer.

Shouldn't it boot up on the cloned drive?

Why won't it recognize the cloned drive?

I don't want to lose this Windows 10 System with all my installed applications just because my hard drive is failing.

Can someone help me clone this drive so the clone will boot up?

Thanks.

postman

a priroity is try to salvage your crucial stuff and personal details before the drive goes completely.

my own preference is to create a backup image. as ive had the same problem of a boot issue, (not used clone drive since). eventually, repaired the boot, with a win7 os disc using repair.

i rebooted and set the boot order for cd/dvd rom to start on boot. disc started and went into the repair feature, which sorted it. without the windows disc, i would have probably gone back to creating an image.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the drive is failing, I really wouldn't clone it to a new drive as you'll just send any issues of the old drive to the new drive. What brand drive is the new one? Most drive manufacturers have a free cloning program you can use. Just hook up both drives to a desktop or use a usb adapter.

Zeno

If the drive is failing, I really wouldn't clone it to a new drive as you'll just send any issues of the old drive to the new drive.

The old drive doesn't have any issues that could be cloned over. It's performing perfectly, it's just making noise which is most likely a failing main bearing. A bad physical bearing isn't going to be cloned over to the new drive.

What brand drive is the new one? Most drive manufacturers have a free cloning program you can use. Just hook up both drives to a desktop or use a usb adapter.

I had previously tried Clonezilla with the same results. After the drive was cloned it wouldn't boot.

The new drive is a Western Digital. I haven't yet tried their cloning software. Instead I bought this cloning station. I actually have three similar notebook computers and I would like to make back up systems for all three of them. So I decided to buy this cloning station which seems to work just fine. I mean the station actually clones the drive. The notebook just won't recognize the new drive as being valid after the cloning.

I read somewhere that notebooks are notorious for this. I also remember reading somewhere that it may be necessary to go into the notebook BIOS program and change some settings there before it will recognize the new drive. But I can't remember where I read that.

I'm pretty convinced that the new drive I have has already been properly cloned. The only trick now is to get the notebook computer to recognize it and boot up on it.

aldan

try macrium reflect free version and select the option for "intelligent sector copy".its always worked for me.