Cloning and swapping HDD to SSD

bacdj

I have a desktop computer with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH mother board and an Intel core i5-3470 processor and 16GB of RAM. I have a 500gb boot HDD C:, and a 1000gb storage HDD E: and a DVD D:.

I am trying to clone my boot HDD on my computer to a new Samsung 960 EVO SSD. While it appears to have cloned, I am not able to swap it AND make it work. I can return to the original setup and everything still works fine, so at least I still have an operating computer.

My intention was to clone the 500gb C: boot drive to a 500gm Samsung 860 EVO SSD and then to remove the original boot 500gb HDD and swap it for the new cloned 500gb SSD. While the cloning process seemed to have worked the rest of my plan has not.

When I swapped the 500GB HDD with the cloned 500GB SSD and booted I got a blue screen with a Error Code 0xc000000e message. I then left the original 500gb boot drive in place as well as the 1000GB storage HDD and connected the SSD to the D: drive SATA and power cables and changed the boot order, but still no luck. I also created a boot USB and played with that, but with no positive outcome.

I can find everything with windows explorer, so it is there and sightable, but not useable. I tried chkdsk, but a message with comments similar to "you have to be an administrator" came up.

I have clone a few times with different programs, but still the same outcome. Any advice PLEASE!! Brian DJ

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a fresh install to the SSD and call it a day. You'll be up and running in no time.

bacdj

I have tried Samsung Migration, Easyus, and Macrium Reflect and all with the same results, so I am suspecting that the original installation of the computer is the cause of the problem. I am running windows 10. Brian DJ

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you had more then one drive in the system when you installed windows, your boot files are on that drive which is why its not working for you. Hence the reason to install a fresh copy of windows to the SSD and be done with it.