CM Hyper 212 i7-2600k OC question

MrSleepin

ok so i have overclocked my 2600k to 4.7ghz.. and my biggest concern right now is the temps i am seeing. in prime95 i am seeing as high as 83* and the fan speed on the 212 is staying at 1834rpms. it never speeds up or slows down!

is there a way to speed up the fan? i would like to see how high i can get my oc. but i am afraid of going too hot.

skidude

The Thermal Junction max temp on the 2600k is 98C. So anything above 98C is where damage starts to occur. That said, 83 is hot with a decent aftermarket cooler like the 212+, although like StrangleHold said the voltage on the CPU may have something to do with it. I've run Prime95 on my stock 2600k with stock cooling and it went over 90C before I stopped the program for fear of damage.

Check your BIOS to make sure any energy saving settings are off and that the fan speed is set to auto. Also check that your heatsink is seated and secured properly down. If the ambient room temperature is high (like 25C or so) that will increase the CPU temp, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

MrSleepin

my ambient room temp sits between 25-27c.

im using the arctic mx-2 compound and i used a rice grain sized portion and let it spread naturally with a few shimmy's to the cooler.

MrSleepin

just did a test where i had my portable ac unit blowing on the cooler... lol

IMAG0436.jpg

withac.jpg

i guess the fact that i live in hot ass florida heat might have something to do with my temps?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Which side of the heatsink do you have the fan? Really cant tell from the photo. The fan is a puller (blows air into the heatsink) should be pointed to the front of the case. If its pointed to the rear, its fighting the rear case fan for air.

skidude

The 212+ typically comes with the fan on the right side (which it looks like that's how he has it here) and I think it comes stock as a puller.

MrSleepin

i have been doing more and more tests. just did 5 minutes of prime95 and i have gotten the temp to stay below 80c.

MrSleepin

so i reapplied the thermal paste, and have been back to testing....

i am getting a consistent top temp of 76-78c during the burn test.

but my idle went up 3*. idle sits at 42c

Last edited:

MrSleepin

oh yeah, and i forgot to mention, i had a second 2600k chip that i through in there to test that one too... same exact settings, and its slower.

malaysiacpu.jpg