CMOS problem or what??

ExtremeCrazy

Bios settings and time and date resets every time when I plug out the power cable from computer. I change a couple of batteries, and still same problem. Jumper is good. Anyone knows what is the problem?

linkin

VIP Member
You might have a dud battery slot? try cleaning the contacts and putting the battery back in.

schw32m

Bios settings and time and date resets every time when I plug out the power cable from computer. I change a couple of batteries, and still same problem. Jumper is good. Anyone knows what is the problem?

Without knowing what MB it is this would be almost hard to diagnose correctly.

There are some boards that use a "battery less" system. What that means is that even though the battery was on the board it was only used to keep the clock or some other CMOS state but it would not hold BIOS settings if AC power was lost or the board was disconnected from the PSU. There usually an on board save to eeprom option to save the current BIOS state so that if it lost power you could reload the custom settings.

I have an AOpen board that is built this way.. A total pain when experimenting with it on the test bench since every time I pull the AC power it would lose all the BIOS settings I had changed if I didn't take the extra step to save to eeprom first.

Check your MB manual it may mention something about this.

spynoodle

Without knowing what MB it is this would be almost hard to diagnose correctly.

There are some boards that use a "battery less" system. What that means is that even though the battery was on the board it was only used to keep the clock or some other CMOS state but it would not hold BIOS settings if AC power was lost or the board was disconnected from the PSU. There usually an on board save to eeprom option to save the current BIOS state so that if it lost power you could reload the custom settings.

I have an AOpen board that is built this way.. A total pain when experimenting with it on the test bench since every time I pull the AC power it would lose all the BIOS settings I had changed if I didn't take the extra step to save to eeprom first.

Check your MB manual it may mention something about this.
That seems pretty probable. Like he said, though, you have to give us more info about what MB you have.