Combofix

teddysmith1952

Hi John,

I have had so much success with your help that I wanted to drop this question in here in hopes that you can help me. I understand that this is not the proper thread. I had no help in the previous thread. Thanks. Below is the question:

Hi all,

I'm sure this has come up many many times so I apologize if I'm being a bore. My son has a game controller he has used for some time and now when it is plugged in we get a balloon pop up that says "usb device not recognized". This happened a couple of days ago an I went to the internet for help. I tried rebooting, combofix and even pulled the plug to cut power to the P/C for a few minutes. Still had the prob.

Then yesterday when we plugged the contoller in it worked. Today, same error message. The only thing we have done to the P/C recently was to install microsoft office a couple of days before this started and deleted "open office" that we had installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried uninstalling all the usb devices in device manager, then reboot and let windows reinstall them? Usually that works.

teddysmith1952

Ok John,
I went into device manager and uninstalled all usb related stuff. About 10 of them. I rebooted and when I plugged in the controller, I received a "new hardware found" ballon followed quicly with something like "new hardware installed and working properly", then within a few seconds the same old "device not recognized". Dang

teddysmith1952

John,

I'm thinking the game controller must be the problem. I have plugged in several different devices into all of my different usb ports and they all work fine. I have tried all of the troubleshooting tricks recommended in my computer as well as tips I googled. For $10.00 I'll pick up another game controller.
Thanks as always,
Jim