**** comcast....

oregon

I just found out comcast charges $5 a month to their stupid b/g router which they make you buy when you sign up anyway. My parents have been with them now for six years almost... That means $360 and running for a shitty half obsolete router. What kind of business is this? I mean, really, they're just taking advantage of peoples ignorance which is totally wrong.

Now that I know this I want to get my parents a router so comcast can take bAck their crap and stop cheating them but guess what. They installed the weird tv style cable rather than Ethernet so hardly any routers work with it. Probably only their own. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I think I am now going to just download (legal stuff of course: Linux) 24/7 just to stick it to them :)

DizzlyDood

I just found out comcast charges $5 a month to their stupid b/g router which they make you buy when you sign up anyway. My parents have been with them now for six years almost... That means $360 and running for a shitty half obsolete router. What kind of business is this? I mean, really, they're just taking advantage of peoples ignorance which is totally wrong.

Now that I know this I want to get my parents a router so comcast can take bAck their crap and stop cheating them but guess what. They installed the weird tv style cable rather than Ethernet so hardly any routers work with it. Probably only their own. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I think I am now going to just download (legal stuff of course: Linux) 24/7 just to stick it to them :)

Can you explain a little more.

An average setup would consist of a modem where a Co-ax cable (TV) goes in, then an ethernet goes out to the router. All the PC's connect to the router then. Is that the setup you have, or are the modem and router combined in 1 device>?

Geoff

VIP Member
Typically there are two devices, the coax (cable TV line) goes to the modem, and that goes to the router via ethernet. However if you have a modem/router all in one, then you are out of luck since I don't see why Comcast would remove the $5 unless you buy a different modem.

oregon

Okay I will just get a modem and router. And hopfully verizon will come to my area soon so we can get fios.

codeman0013

Seriously bro you dont have to rent the modem if you have your own you can use that or you can buy the modem outright when service is started for 50 bucks beleive me my mom and i both work for and have worked for comcast if your rents have been renting this time its their own fault for not reading the fine print becuase i know several people including myself who have bought their own modem and they activate it. The only thing is if it breaks you have to buy your own not get it replaced woot i have had 1 modem in 6 years so i ahve saved more hten it would have cost me to rent thats for sure. Always read the fine print or ask before buying simple warning. Dont get me wrong i dont work for comcast anymore but sheesh man..

teamhex

Okay I will just get a modem and router. And hopfully verizon will come to my area soon so we can get fios.

If you get one, do not get an all in one. Get them seperatly, its more modular that way if one breaks, the other still works. I also recommend spending the extra 20-30 bux more for a linksys.

oregon

Seriously bro you dont have to rent the modem if you have your own you can use that or you can buy the modem outright when service is started for 50 bucks beleive me my mom and i both work for and have worked for comcast if your rents have been renting this time its their own fault for not reading the fine print becuase i know several people including myself who have bought their own modem and they activate it. The only thing is if it breaks you have to buy your own not get it replaced woot i have had 1 modem in 6 years so i ahve saved more hten it would have cost me to rent thats for sure. Always read the fine print or ask before buying simple warning. Dont get me wrong i dont work for comcast anymore but sheesh man..

i totally agree with you on reading fine print. it is important, and i always make sure to read fine print.

what i'm talking about is comcast "renting" a router for six years. they are able to do this because 95% of people do not know anything about computers or networking, and do not know what they need. a respectable business would not continue to "rent" long after its cost has been paid. this is completely dishonest.

let me also mention that when we hooked up with comcast, they insisted on selling usb wifi adapters for each of the three computers in our house, despite the fact that we already had wifi pci cards that work perfectly fine. none of use knew any better though, so we trusted them. i only realized this a few years ago when i was trying to figure out why i had two wifi connections on my computer, which was causing problems.

my point is that comcast has no integrity. they will do whatever they need to make a profit.

teamhex

my point is that comcast has no integrity. they will do whatever they need to make a profit.
I cant think of a single company that isn't 100% in it to make money. America used to be about helping everyone and taking time to get to know the customer. Now your a number in a system. Its sad, it really is. That with all the out sourcing going on, this country is just being facistized. If the bail out isn't enough proof I don't know what is.

Last edited: