Coming soon: school laptops for all in the US for $100.

dave597

VIP Member
Coming soon: school laptops for all for $100.

Has anyone heard about the proposals to introduce laptops to school-age children in developing countries for $100? What does everyone think?

IMO, I wouldn't be too sure... Teaching kids to be tech. aware is a good thing i suppose. But the curious find out things for themselves anyway. What if people can't afford the $100. Also, what implications will it have on daily life at school?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4243733.stm

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Lol

It's a nice idea but not very realistic. 100 Dollars is still huge money for the underpriviledged people of developong countries. I wish this scheme success but doubt it very much.

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a bad thing. Kids these days cant think as it is, too goddamn calculator dependent. Overall, possibly good intentions, bad end results.

mailliw

why developing countries only? there are millions of children in all parts of the world who doesn't and want have access to computers. yet as adults will be expected to be computer literate just to get the most basic jobs. as with anything we all can get too dependent on anything, computers, autos, parents and spouses.

dave597

VIP Member
im not sure why they are targetting developing countries - but it has been piloted in a US school. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/progs/05/go_digital/07feb.ram I also think that it should be more extensively tested in a more developed country before going to undeveloped. The idea also should be sustainable technology, its no good producing a lot of laptops for these countries only for them to break and not being able to fix them.

yes, it is true that we cant be too dependent on things in this world. nothing lasts forever, so we usually try to make the most of what we have.

p4r4s1t3

Re: The comment about what if they can't afford it:

Regardless, I think about 90% more people will be able to afford a $100 laptop than the standard $800-$1,500 price.

p4r4s1t3

Like I just said Carly, expensive it may be, but $100 is cheaper than a half decent setup, and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than standard laptop prices, not everyone can afford $100, but alot more people can afford $100 than they can afford $800.

dave597

VIP Member
basically whatever country this is gonna be tested on - it will only be available to school children or people in basic education. most of the money is subsidized as they are producing so many for a specific target audience - so that is why it is so cheap.

listen to the .ram, its vaguely interesting, especially this point; the laptop will be able to withstand great forces such as those compared to a frisbee.

smadge

things change. i could also potentially see people buying them and selling them for much more to other people for some quick cash.(heck they could even sell it on ebay with their new computer) :)

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
First of all $100 is not a lot of money.. and knowing the country I live in... the welfare country that it is.. the poverty stricken kids would get the comps for free.

I actually think there would be a benefit. If more less fortunate (money wise) kids were able to use computers at school and even at home I think it might help many of them achieve a higher level of success in future endeavors...