Comp Halts on Boot Screen

sokol

Yesterday when I turned my pc on I got a error saying "checksum error". I bought a new CMOS battery installed it and turned on my PC back on, it then froze on the PCI Device Listing Screen and wouldn't load into Windows XP. I tried everything by switching the boot priority, IDE -> ACHI etc and nothing worked. I installed a new copy of xp on my old drive that I don't use anymore and it booted up perfectly. It looks like it's a HDD issue. I ran the WD Raptor 150g HDD with HDD Regenerator and it came up with no bad sectors. Anyone know if the HDD is completely dead or is it possible to get it working.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Usually it is a dead battery. Have you tried in the bios using Load Optimized Defaults, then save and exit?

sokol

Looks like I fixed the problem looks like my MBR had a problem I rewrote the MBR code and it fixed the problem. Will run Combofix and see what caused the MBR to change.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
On western digital hard disk drives it is very often that MBR gets messed up or even completely disappears.It happened to me more than 20 times on WD drives and ONLY ON WD drives.
On other HDDs such as HITACHI,MAXTOR,SEAGATE and so on...it never happened.

Reason: WD SUCKS!I always hated them and never had nothing but problems on them :mad:

sokol

Yea it's the first time it happened to me, I will be upgrading my PC once AMD Bulldozer platform comes out. Might go with SSD or 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB in raid 0.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Western Digital/Samsung and Seagate are all good drives. Been using W/D drives for 16 years and never had one just lose the MBR. Would suggest against Maxtor and Hitachi