Comp. Shuts Off In-Game

C4C

So I was playing Rust about 10mins ago...

Currently running my OC at 4.4GHz (for heat) and my PC decided to just cut power.

I thought it could be heat, but through benchmarks at 4.4 it sat under 60oC. Only the second time this has happened, but this time I had to turn the PSU off/on in order for it to boot again.

Could my PSU be overheating? it's sitting on a desk and my case gives it about 3/4in of clearance (NZXT H230).

I was thinking about getting a new case since this one has me hitting a thermal wall.

Additionally, the cost of watercooling and getting a new case is the same ($70-80). Let me know what you think! :)

C4C

Try another psu first. Either psu or possible short.

Will do.. I'll try to get one from somebody I know on campus.

I feel it still has to do with the CPU temps.. I'll have to download and run Aida64 this afternoon to see for sure.

C4C

60 degrees is fine.
Correct.

Aida64 is sitting at 59-61c, 23 minutes in. If this issue happens again I'll take a look at the PSU.

I decided I'd open this thread to my previous thoughts on dealing with heat when running 4.6GHz...
I have no issues running at a lower OC, and if this PSU is having issues I'll address that first.

Thanks John!

Darren

Staff member
Rust is poorly optimized and immediately pegs my GPU at full and constant load and pulls on my CPU pretty good too. Downclock your CPU, might help.

As a test, set your 8320 at 4.2GHz and run the benchmark built into CPU-Z and let me know what you get. I had some pretty noticeable shifts in CPU performance/stability by changing some power settings in my BIOS. I'm curious how yours does. Running CPU benchmarks by themselves aren't always the greatest indicator of stability, particularly with the power hungry components we run. GTA V is my usual long term stability test because it pulls so much power from both my CPU and GPU and makes 'em work for it.

Our builds are practically identical so I can probably give you some performance insight and see what might be going on. Is your 390 overclocked at all? Have you adjusted power limits at all? (see my sticky in the GPU subforum)

mistersprinkles

Clearly, the next step here is to set the CPU and motherboard back to completely stock settings, and test again. I think this will solve your issue.

However, there is a small chance of a PSU issue. If the above doesn't fix anything, swapping the PSU is your next troubleshooting step.

If that doesn't work either it is possible that your motherboard has a power delivery problem.