Comp start up REALLY slow

RayLight

I dont know what happened to my laptop, but recently, it takes AGES to load the settings and all. I cant work on anything! But when I log on as a different user, it works normally. Anyone has the solution?? It's WIndows XP and Intel Centrino. THank you in advance!

Greg J.

VIP Member
Here's the deal:

Log on as yourself, get on the Internet, download the "Hijack-This" program (search google with that). Get the program, open it up on your desktop, hit scan. This will list all the stuff that starts and runs during booting. If you don't know what to check-mark to FIX, then save the log, open it up, copy-and-paste-and-post the log here. I'll be here.

While your at it, check to make sure you've defragmented. (If you wanna do that, go to "Start"-"Control Panel"- make sure its in category view (the simple style, NOT classic view. Click on Performance and Mainenance. Click the last slection with the green arrow box thing. "Rearrange items on your hard disk to make programs run faster." Click this to make "Disk Defragmenter" come up, choose the hard drive to defrag and click the "Defragment" button.

There may be more to your situation. Please post me back.

4W4K3

VIP Member
adding to all the tips greg said,

you might want to just remake your account. if its in REALLy bad shape and your not sure how to fix it all you can just transfer all your files and stuff over to another account. then re create yours and it should all run alot faster. thats probably the easiest way to do it but not so convenient. if you know pretty much whats wrong with your account (adware, spyware, defrag, trojan, virus) and how to remove them it's be easier to just keep the account in my opinion. also go to www.tweakxp.com and they have alot of tweaks that make your computer log-in in under 10sec or faster. they work too.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
they have alot of tweaks that make your computer log-in in under 10sec or faster.
If you can find a setup that boots WindowsXP in under 10 seconds I'll consider sleeping on a weekly basis.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
If you can find a setup that boots WindowsXP in under 10 seconds I'll consider sleeping on a weekly basis.

i said log-in under 10 secs. i run windows XP Pro and am connected to a home network. and my machine will usually be at desktop nad have everything loaded (logon scripts, homepage, aol, all startup trays) loaded in about 8-9secs. but thats counting from after i enter my password and click OK. if you mean from the actualy "windows XP" loading screen its more like 20-25secs i bet. never timed that part.

RayLight

thank you all. the comp is working quite fine now. and that program you told me to download is great too! i cant thank you more! ;)

tommy8748

If it happens again go to Start "Help and Support" Click on "Adjust your startup resources to improve performance" and then select what you want to start up at startup.