Comp won't boot. New hardware woes

Bisna

New Member
Ok so for Christmas I got to upgrade the system; got new psu to power a new vid card and maxed out my RAM to tie it all together. I was going to get started after a reboot, but it froze on me so I just held down the button...so(an here's where I think I screwed myself hard) while it was off I decided to pop in the RAM, did that an hit the power switch...loud fan, but nothing else...I figured maybe I put the modules in wrong so I took them out an put the originals in...same thing, no display, no boot just a real loud fan and whirring of sorts like it sounds for a split second before the boot.

So my question is how bad is it? Is there anyway to fix it? and on a scale from 1 to 10 how stupid was I to atempt an install of ANY kind without first properly logging off and shutting down...which I asume is why I'm having problems.
 
Definately not a smart thing to do, but anyway:

Shutdown and unplug the computer from power, Pop open the side panel and look on the mobo for a lttile round battery. take it out and leave the comp unplugged for about an hour, or just press the power button a couple of times to discharge the capacitors. replace the battery, stick the RAM in, close everything up and boot up. you will have to re-do any changes to the bios you may have made.
 
Thank you much but it didn't do the trick. I even let it sit overnight; Same deal; no display, loud fans...ARRRGH!!!! This is depressing, I should've taken it up to best buy to begin with, I really thought I could do it though...and I didn't want to pay those thieves more than half of what it all cost just to put it in.

Any other theories on what I did an how to fix it?...come on, I'm in pain here! You want to see pain, swing by...lol.
 
I would start back at the beginning. Unplug it and hit the power button a few times. Take the card out, hook back up to your onboard. Take the new memory out and put the old back in. Then reset the bios, just need to do it by the jumper or take the battery out, for about a minute or two.

Then with just the new Power Supply in, see if it will fire up.
 
Well I redid everything bout a hundred times with the same effect, fans an no display. But I said screw best buy an found a reputible home service on craigslist. Guy came hooked everything up the way I would've, then turns it on with the same result I had been getting. Then he trouble shoots for a bit an asks me if I was grounded when I put the RAM in...put a gun to my head paint the walls with my brains...ya I fried my mobo...MOTHER F#&$(@!!!
I've messed around in there before without grounding but I guess with the dry winter season I pressed my luck too far with ignorance and srupidity. Thats why I got nothing but the PSU fan.

Thanks for the advice guys, who would've thought I fried the damn thing:(

So I'll start a new thread in the mobo section to see who knows of a good cheap one for my mini tower...well not mini but small Compaq Presario SR2177CL Desktop PC ...I'm so freakin depressed, lol:(
 
Back
Top