speedyink

VIP Member
I have an older computer:
Fujitsu FMV biblo
Windows XP
PII 266mhz
6 gig HDD
64mb RAM.

Anyway, is there any 'compact' anti-virus software that wont completely bog my system down? Im planning on upping the ram to either 128 or 192mb in the near future.

tweaker

VIP Member
speedyink said:
I have an older computer:
Fujitsu FMV biblo
Windows XP
PII 266mhz
6 gig HDD
64mb RAM.

Anyway, is there any 'compact' anti-virus software that wont completely bog my system down? Im planning on upping the ram to either 128 or 192mb in the near future.

Heh 64Mb is infact the minimum amount of memory the XP install will allow, another 64Mb stick would dramatically improve your systems performance. :)

Anyhow get AVG, it's easy on the system resources and it's a great free antivirus software. :)

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

speedyink

VIP Member
Ya, I know 64 megs is the minimun, but it seems to work pretty good. I meant to install XP, then right after buy another 64 meg stick. Well I havent gotten around to the other 64 meg stick yet...lol. Anyway, thanks for the info. :eek:

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
If you don't care about being free or paying, use Nod32, it has a better detection rate than avg and the smallest resource footprint in the industry,... but, you can only get it online and you have to pay for it. :eek:

speedyink

VIP Member
lol, someone gave me a RAM chip, but they didnt know how much it was or if it would work. So I put it in, and it worked. Turns out is a 16mb chip. LOL! Oh well, up to 80 megs of ram now!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
lol, someone gave me a RAM chip, but they didnt know how much it was or if it would work. So I put it in, and it worked. Turns out is a 16mb chip. LOL! Oh well, up to 80 megs of ram now!

:) getting there.