compaq presario SR5010NX upgrade

charlesesteban

Hi, my father has really crappy computer at his home so i wanted to give him my old computer. I changed the power supply after it broke to a 550w and added some ram up to 3 gb. Now i want to upgrade the graphic card and cpu as well but i just don't know what will fit with the computer. I'm ready to put max 100 bucks in the card and cpu enough for him to play pretty good games. thank you !

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
From HP regarding processor upgrades:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) up to E4300
Pentium D (Presler) up to 960 (3.6 GHz)
Pentium 4 (Cedar Mill) up to 661 (3.6 GHz)
Celeron D (Cedar Mill) up to 365 (3.6 GHz)
Celeron D (Prescott) up to 355 (3.33GHz)

As for spending $100 for both CPU and GPU, forget it. If you want to game decently you need to send $175+ on a video card alone.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not worth it in my opinion. That machine came out in 2007, not upgradeable to quad core. Only has a max ram of 2gb. I seriously would try to find something newer capable of a quad core, otherwise the video card will be bottlenecked by the cpu.

charlesesteban

Hi, i bought a intel core 2 duo e4300 1.80ghz and it says when i installed it
"ERROR: unsupported cpu installed.
PC will automatically power down in a few seconds"
I updated the bios, put thermal paste and it don't recognise it.
Any thoughts? And sorry for asking this one month after

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you don't have an actual E4300. HP's website says up to E4300 but you were told it really wasn't worth it. The machine has a 945 chipset and was iffy with the core 2 cpu's. Some motherboards with the 945 chipset actually supported some of the lower end core 2 cpu's. HP won't help you in this case since its out of warranty. My advice would be to find a better system.

tylerjrb

its not really worth the upgrade, BUT you can get a cheap working cpu off ebay for a few £. Most likely the same with a cheap gpu. better to build a more modern pc as your system is quite outdated and will struggle with modern games.

Last edited: