Compaq V2000Z memory question.

j0hn00

I ordered the Compaq V2000Z last night, but didn't want to shell out $175 for the 1GB (2x512MB) upgrade. I'm leaning toward the Kingmax PC3200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820155124

but just wanted to be sure that it will work. The Compaq V2000Z will come with 256MB 200 pin PC2700 installed, but Corsair's site recommends PC3200. And yes, I saw the reviewer on Newegg with the same notebook installing the Kingmax PC3200. But I'm still a bit hesitant... do you think there will be any compatibility issues? Will the PC3200 show any performance increase over the PC2700?

Advitiya Saxena

I am not sure it will work, Because there is a FSB difference b/w PC2700 (333MHz) and PC3200(400Mhz). U should check it before u order. If PC3200 is downwards compatable then it may work, but why invest in something when u will not be able to take full advantage of it. Check crucial websit, HP n Compaq buy RAm frm crucial.

Lax

VIP Member
But I'm still a bit hesitant... do you think there will be any compatibility issues? Will the PC3200 show any performance increase over the PC2700?

There shouldn't be any and unless the max the laptop can take is DDR400 then it will just downclock to DDR333. Just make sure that the 1Gb isn't over the max the board can take.

j0hn00

Thanks for the replies. The max capacity is 2GB. The price delta between the PC2700 and PC3200 is only about $5 per 512MB stick. Anyway, I'm still trying to decide which speed and what brand to choose. Any suggestions? Also, will having more memory decrease the battery life? Currently, this is what I've ordered:

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
FREE Upgrade to 14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!
ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M
256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
8X DVD Drive
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

alanuofm

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
Thanks for the replies. The max capacity is 2GB. The price delta between the PC2700 and PC3200 is only about $5 per 512MB stick. Anyway, I'm still trying to decide which speed and what brand to choose. Any suggestions? Also, will having more memory decrease the battery life? Currently, this is what I've ordered:

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
FREE Upgrade to 14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!
ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M
256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
8X DVD Drive
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

i ordered ocz memory and it worked fine on my dell. it was also fairly cheap. it was only 22$ for a stick of 256 mb. how much did you pay for that laptop?

j0hn00

With a student discount... $842.06 minus $50 more in rebates... so, it'll come out to $792.06. At this point, I'm now thinking about paying an extra $20 and getting a 1GB stick of PC2700 to go along with the already installed 256MB... I was originally just going to sell the 256MB on eBay. Overkill?

j0hn00

Anyway, after extensive searching through numerous forums, I found out that some people have been able to use PC3200 without any problems or downclocking... specifically, Corsair memory on more recent builds. At Newegg, the price delta between the PC2700 and PC3200 Corsair 512MB was less than $1, so I went ahead and ordered 2 sticks of the PC3200. Hopefully, it'll run at full speed without any issues.

j0hn00

Yeah, the 2GHz ML-37... hoping with the 1GB of PC3200 memory, it'll be far nicer than the Intel 1.6GHz I was considering.

alanuofm

VIP Member
the 1.6 is a nice processor. im on it right now and it runs all my math programs, compilers, video/photo editing, and basically all the programs on here flawlessly.

j0hn00

I was going to get the 1.6GHz ML-30, but I figured for $75 extra, I could use this notebook for a good 2 years before I needed to replace it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Turion won't disappoint.

Edit... oops.. I read it wrong... you were talking about the Pentium M....

alanuofm

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
I was going to get the 1.6GHz ML-30, but I figured for $75 extra, I could use this notebook for a good 2 years before I needed to replace it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Turion won't disappoint.

well if you are a college student you will soon to realize that you probably won't have time to play any games. a laptop can basically last 5-6+ years if you are just using it for word processing, programming, internet, etc.

j0hn00

Actually, I'm not a student. I just used a co-worker's brother-in-law's student ID to get the discount. I know it was wrong, but the student discount was only $50 or so. Anyway, 2 years is a good number for me. I'll probably want something better by that time.

alanuofm

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
Actually, I'm not a student. I just used a co-worker's brother-in-law's student ID to get the discount. I know it was wrong, but the student discount was only $50 or so. Anyway, 2 years is a good number for me. I'll probably want something better by that time.

are you a gamer?

j0hn00

You know, as I get older, I've been playing more and more games. Someone once told me that the average age of gamers was in the early thirties. Guess they were right. Doesn't mean that I'm any good at it.

alanuofm

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
You know, as I get older, I've been playing more and more games. Someone once told me that the average age of gamers was in the early thirties. Guess they were right. Doesn't mean that I'm any good at it.
those are the gamers that play shuffle board. haha just kidding. teen gamers are the ones that need high performance video card because they can't have a single frame drop or the world ends. i went through that phase where gaming was very important. team3D is still the best team in america!

on another note assuming you are young, this is probably going to be a big investment for you. if you plan to be a hardcore gaming you should get a desktop. however if you want to take this thing to class or go to your aunt jane's because you're bored out of your mind you should get a smaller desktop with a moderately powerful video card for minor gaming yet still having good battery life.