Which configuration?

• Option 1

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Pyotr

Praetor said:
Intel is just as succeptible to heat (im using a P4 to type this and it lags out to heat all the time) ... both are bad for (and with) heat and if cooling is cheap you might as well :)
Yeah, but the guy said AMDs actually BURN. ;)
I've got an old P4 at home, and it too lags out totally. Can't play much.

Still, questions need answering.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMDs do burn but that only happens if (a) you're running without a HSF and (b) OCing and (c) running a crappy mobo (for which ive not yet encountered one that doesnt support autokilling) which is (a) stupid and (b) Intel has the same results without a HSF

kb1ghc

AMD's do burn, my friend fried multiple AMD's because he bought a whole bunch directly from AMD, (mobo, with processor and heatsink/fan, already on the mobo) and when the fan stopped, the processor fried, if your gonna get an AMD, make sure to get some SERIOUS cooling.

and if your gonna try linux, stay away from nvidia graphics cards, i know multiple people who have had problems with them on linux.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Damn you're all about broad statements eh? ;P
1. Ive not found a mobo that doesnt have at least and alarm (most have autokill) for AMD cpus... if you can find one i'll have a look (dont forget the new heatbox on the street -- Prescott)

2. Many people have problems with linux and ati cards too -- many more than with nvidia at that.