Compare OCs.

drdallon

I looked through every BIOS option there is no speed step. I have speedread though. I disabled that and all 4 cores over 30mins preformed fine on small FFTs, but failed after 3 mins on blend.

bigrich0086

if its failing on blend then its memory related as blend tests ram and cpu. Run memtest over night and see if you get errors. u might not have timings n voltage set right.

Jet

VIP Member
I looked through every BIOS option there is no speed step. I have speedread though. I disabled that and all 4 cores over 30mins preformed fine on small FFTs, but failed after 3 mins on blend.

if its failing on blend then its memory related as blend tests ram and cpu. Run memtest over night and see if you get errors. u might not have timings n voltage set right.

Your ram shouldn't be having an issue--I'd suspect at 400FSB your Northbridge needs some more voltage. Increase the CPU FSB up one increment and try it again.

Is there a x64 version of memtest or should i just use the x86 one?

Your ram shouldn't be messing up--it should be thriving at the 1:1 ratio between FSB and ram clocks, and it has ample voltage.

drdallon

Your ram shouldn't be having an issue--I'd suspect at 400FSB your Northbridge needs some more voltage. Increase the CPU FSB up one increment and try it again.

Your ram shouldn't be messing up--it should be thriving at the 1:1 ratio between FSB and ram clocks, and it has ample voltage.

I changed the CPU FSB from 1.30V to 1.35V and ran prime95. Seems to be working went through 3 tests with out failing. My RAM is set at 800, it should be 1066, if i up it to 1066 am i going to have to change the voltages or anything?

drdallon

keep in mind its the time the test runs not how many tests. Ive had fft test fail at 11hrs in.

I know, but it was failing after like 30mins so this is good news for me. I am going to run it over night and through class thats almost 12 hours.

Jet

VIP Member
I changed the CPU FSB from 1.30V to 1.35V and ran prime95. Seems to be working went through 3 tests with out failing. My RAM is set at 800, it should be 1066, if i up it to 1066 am i going to have to change the voltages or anything?

If you want to stop overclocking, you're good--set it to 1066 and compare performance between 1066 and 800.

Otherwise, keep it at 800 and keep overclocking--since your FSB is at 400 and DDR2-800 runs at 400mhz, the 1:1 ratio between the memory clock and the FSB is the most stable. The memory speed has much less impact on the performance of your computer compared to the processor speed, so the first goal is to get the best performance from your processor, and then adjust the memory speed/timings accordingly.