compatable gpus

kdawg490

im looking to upgrade my gpu and maybe cpu but i want to know whats compatable together and in my budget(270). any suggestions
sorry im picky and broke lol

Last edited:

Agent Smith

Well, it would certainly help if you posted your system specs. We need to know make and model of motherboard, and the make & model of the PSU and wattage output. Is 270 in USD?

kdawg490

Well, it would certainly help if you posted your system specs. We need to know make and model of motherboard, and the make & model of the PSU and wattage output. Is 270 in USD?

Are you playing game?
I read your other post, you have 9500gs right now?
i have a gateway tbgm01 motherboard, intel i7 920, geforce 9500gs, 12gb ddr3, and an insignia 520w atx psu (and im using CAD)

Agent Smith

I've actually never heard of Insignia PSUs before. But it seems they exist at Bestbuy and Amazon with fairly good ratings.

Your CPU socket is LGA 1366 and those CPUs are above and beyond expensive and that's just ridiculous since it's an old CPU. You could get an i7 960, but the upgrade from what you have now is marginal. This is the cheapest I can find. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036Z6GH2/?tag=pcpapi-20

The GPU is what I'd upgrade since it's old as all hell. But I have to tell you. CAD doesn't really use that much in resources so a CPU or GPU upgrade will mean nothing. What type of hard drive do you have? If you don't have an SSD, that right there will be a huge improvement.

Here's a massive upgrade for a GPU upgrade: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...SI_GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti-_-14-137-054-_-Product

But like I said, it will have no bearing on CAD performance. I see AutoCAD requires at least a Pentium 4 and 128 MB of video RAM. So what you have now is more than sufficient. Especially in the RAM department. Your single biggest improvement will be an SSD if you already don't have one.

Looking at this, it appears you don't even have SATA. So right there is the major bottleneck. http://mobilespecs.net/motherboard/Gateway/Gateway_TBGM-01.html

I'd buy a whole new computer.

Cisco001

I recommend you upgrade PSU, GPU and SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $259.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-17 12:14 EST-0500

PSU is not compulsory, but your existing is not good brand. and for the age of your PC, I suggest you may grab a better one.

Agent Smith

SMH Jesus tap dancing Christ it's like no one read my post.

The Fer doesn't even have SATA FFS!

The computer isn't worth upgrading. Especially given he has more than enough power for CAD.

Maybe this is wrong?

Motherboard SATA Gateway TBGM-01
SATA 1:
no
SATA 2:
no

Intel_man

VIP Member
SMH Jesus tap dancing Christ it's like no one read my post.

The Fer doesn't even have SATA FFS!

The computer isn't worth upgrading. Especially given he has more than enough power for CAD.

Maybe this is wrong?

Motherboard SATA Gateway TBGM-01
SATA 1:
no
SATA 2:
no
Use your brain for a moment. That motherboard like any X58 chipset board, utilizes SATA 2. Just because some random website claims it doesn't, doesn't mean it actually doesn't.

Notice the bar code sticker on the bottom right? Guess what that's covering on top? That's right. SATA 2 ports.
TBGM01.jpg

Darren

Staff member
Can see it connected here even. Any semi modern platform has SATA, particularly if it's running DDR3 RAM.
60a.jpg

Also most people don't have the means to clone a drive, at the very least you should mention that the OS will need to be put on way or the other.

Agent Smith

What do you mean don't have a means? You just plug in the SSD into an existing SATA port and clone from the source. Not hard at all. AOMEI Backuper is free and what I use. Hasn't failed me yet, and I've used it to clone from and too a Netbook via USB.

As to the MOBO. I never seen a pic that large, so I was going by what that jerk off site said, but I had my reservations.

Agent Smith

So yeah, OP. Grab a SSD. That will be the biggest improvement you can do to that PC. The GPU is quite old, but if you're just running CAD you really don't have to blow money on an upgrade. It's your choice.