Compatbile Parts?

XMarineX

you sayin that card would be better than a 9800 pro? btw doesn't that ram add it to my existing? or does it completely replace it?

joelkyr

The memory you choosed is a DDR400, your system runs on DDR266/333 and I think thats not compatible with your system. as for the CPU, the max you can put in there is Intel P4 3.06GHz 533MHz.

4W4K3

VIP Member
XMarineX said:
you sayin that card would be better than a 9800 pro? btw doesn't that ram add it to my existing? or does it completely replace it?

it might not be better stock..but after overclockign i think it will come out on top or at least just as good. for $40 saved i'd take it over a 9800 PRO...the difference is pretty slim if there is any.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im inclined to think the 9800Pro is a better card however you cant argue with the significant lower price of thr 5900XT

grimloch

my experience with dell machines it that their motherboards are extremely picky about what ram thay accept, for example my friends ram is one and a half time longer than standard issue ram, i'd ring dell and inquire as to what will be compatible

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
for example my friends ram is one and a half time longer than standard issue ram,
Thats not Dell-pickiness thats the spec of the RAM. DDR2 comes with 240 pins compared to the 184 on DDR thus making them incompatible. This is a JDEC spec, not a Dell spec :)

Mister Redd

XMarineX said:
I'm planning to upgrade my computer and i picked out a couple of parts to upgrade with. My question is would this be compatbile with a Windows Xp Dimension 2400.

Kingston RAM

Pentium 4 Processor

Video Card

Yo, the Kingston RAM and Pentium 4 processors are perfectly fine...except, the Video Card is not compatable with a Dell Dimension 2400. I have the specified model. The reason of uncompatabiltiy is due to the fact that Dimension 2400's do not have an AGP expansion bus. They only have PCI's. If you were to buy the AGP Bus Compat. video card, it would not fit into the PCI bus. I recently upgraded my computer as well. I would recommend an Xtasy ATI Radeon 9200 (PCI). It is top of the line WITH PCI COMPATABLE GRAPHICS CARD. I wished to buy the 9800 as well, but it turns out they do not make PCI compatable Video cards (in the 9800 category). The only Dimension BTW that has AGP compatability is the Dell Dim. 4600 =\ I hope I have helped you. :D :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend an Xtasy ATI Radeon 9200 (PCI). It is top of the line WITH PCI COMPATABLE GRAPHICS CARD
Well i dunno about that ... the Parhelia might have come as a PCI model too...

grimloch

Praetor said:
Thats not Dell-pickiness thats the spec of the RAM. DDR2 comes with 240 pins compared to the 184 on DDR thus making them incompatible. This is a JDEC spec, not a Dell spec :)

god its not ddr2 the machine predates the ''approval'' of ddr2 in a sense
unless it was a trial by dell...ill never know

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
god its not ddr2 the machine predates the ''approval'' of ddr2 in a sense
1. A lot of machiens DID predate approval (and Corsair for instance did make DDR2 modules before approval)

2. I didnt bother checking the specs... when you say "DDR memory" and "one and half times the normal size" and i note that DDR2 sticks are roughly 1.5x the size of DDR sticks... its not a huge leap of faith. :pg