Compiz Fusion - Unbuntu, Lunix or Beryl?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I used the updater thing and got all of the Compiz and it's settings manager, how-ever, I turn things on and nothing happens, I even restart and still nothing, is it my video card drivers?

It's an SiS 630

Impulse666

Well, I used the updater thing and got all of the Compiz and it's settings manager, how-ever, I turn things on and nothing happens, I even restart and still nothing, is it my video card drivers?

It's an SiS 630

When you say nothing do you mean a blank screen or no effects?

If this is the same laptop as the first thread I dont think Compiz will run on it at all. Hence the no effects. But if you have a blank screen that is another problem.

Kornowski

VIP Member
When you say nothing do you mean a blank screen or no effects?

If this is the same laptop as the first thread I dont think Compiz will run on it at all. Hence the no effects. But if you have a blank screen that is another problem.

No effects :(

I've got all the options and stuff, but they just don't work... Ahhh, I was hoping it would work :eek:

patrickv

probably that video card is not "so-so" enough to run compiz, cause i once installed beryl on a dell optiplex GXa (yeah those old scrap) i manage to change themes but the effects didn't work and when i executed it the screen went dark and logged me out.
so probably it won't work on your right ?

Motoxrdude

Did you go to System>>Administration>>Restricted Drivers Manager and see if there is a driver for your video card?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have a HP nc4200 with integrated intel 960 video chipset, and I ran compiz/beryl on it. Most likely the problem is the driver, not the video card.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah, I had an intel beta driver for it, and it ran, just not that well. The eye candy is cool though. If you really want it, get a system with an nvidia card, they seem to have the best Linux driver support out there that I have seen.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Would that driver work for my chipset?

I could run it on my main computer, but I don't think I really want to be dual booting OS'

tlarkin

VIP Member
It didn't run that well on my laptop, it worked though. I had the 3D cube and could use the cool effects but it looked like crap because the driver was crap. Like I said, you most likely want to run it on an ATI or Nvidia card.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It didn't run that well on my laptop, it worked though. I had the 3D cube and could use the cool effects but it looked like crap because the driver was crap. Like I said, you most likely want to run it on an ATI or Nvidia card.

Oh right, That's a bummer! :(

Did you check the Restricted Drivers Manager?

Yeah, all that was in there was the drivers for my internet...