Compiz Fusion - Unbuntu, Lunix or Beryl?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Just found it, thanks! Just un-compressing the file now, then I'll mount the image to a CD, Hope it works! :)

Motoxrdude

Just found it, thanks! Just un-compressing the file now, then I'll mount the image to a CD, Hope it works! :)

Dont uncompress the ISO, it will not work. Burn the ISO as a cd image. I am not sure how to do this in nero, but I am sure there is an option to burn a "cd image"

Kornowski

VIP Member
Dont uncompress the ISO, it will not work. Burn the ISO as a cd image. I am not sure how to do this in nero, but I am sure there is an option to burn a "cd image"

Oh right, Sorry, Yeah, my friend DL'ed it for me, then we had to put it in a compressed folder to get it on a CD, I just extracted the ISO from the folder, is all...

Then I burned the image using nero, I hope it's worked.

Kornowski

VIP Member
So I just stick the CD with the ISO in the computer and boot it from the CD?

After burning the ISO image to the CD, the CD has a load of folders and files on there, that's right isn't it?

tlarkin

VIP Member
So I just stick the CD with the ISO in the computer and boot it from the CD?

After burning the ISO image to the CD, the CD has a load of folders and files on there, that's right isn't it?

you should see all the linux folders, like etc, var, usr, bin, sbin, and so on

Kornowski

VIP Member
Which one do I select?

Install in Text Mode
OEM Install (For Manufacturers)
Install a Command Line System
Install an LTSP Server

It doesn't come up with the Live CD, You know where I can try it before installing?

I'm guessing OEM?

spanky

lol what did chris give you? the first bootup screen should look like

Screenshot-Xubuntu_install_prompt.jpg

and you select "start or install xubuntu" with the keyboard arrows and enter key.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It looked like that, but different options, the ones I posted above, He DL'ed the ones that you linked me too :p

What have I got, lol, I've just installed it...

I selected install in text mode and it all went well,

BUT, it hangs at the loading screen with the bar, it doesn't move?

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's OK! :D It booted, I think it was because it was the first time :D YAY!

It looks awesome! :)

How do I do stuff now, lol :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
How do I do stuff, like change the wallpaper, the cool effects, switch between the screens, that kind of thing? :D

Motoxrdude

How do I do stuff, like change the wallpaper, the cool effects, switch between the screens, that kind of thing? :D

Go to System>>Preferences and go wild :p

O the reason you got different options was because you got the alternative install cd (no live).
Post any questions you have. O and to install programs go into Applications>>Add/Remove. Then there is a drop down box on the top right of the window and select all available applications. And if you want to install a specific application go to System>>Administrator>>Synaptics Package Manager, but this isnt as pretty as the add/remove way.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's all very strange still :p

I had a mess around and all I could change was the wallpaper, theme and icons, I couldn't find any of the effects and stuff, I think I need the Compiz for that...

So you have to install things throught the internet?

Impulse666

If you downloaded the newest (Gutsy Gibbon 7.10) then Compiz Fusion will be enabled by default if your hardware can support it. System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects tab will show you the options for CF. Your laptop is insufficient to run it, unfortunately.

To install things you can use the incredibly easy to use "Add/Remove Programs" app, located under Applications -> Add/Remove. In the top left click "All supported applications" and select "All available applications" to broaden your search results. Search for something like "dvd ripper" or "video converter". Every program on there is free and clean. Just put a checkmark next to anything you want, and click Apply.

And you'll need this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
type that in terminal (linux command prompt) (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal). It will ask you for your administrator password (the password you use to log in) and then download audio and video codecs that are not included in Gutsy Gibbon.

edit: At the above command it may say that you do not have apt-get installed, just ender the command that it tells you is required.

Quick lesson on sudo:
Try the above command without sudo in front of it. It will not work on account that you need administrator privileges to modify essential parts of the system. By default you are a normal user, not root (superuser, can access anything, do anything). Any Linux aficionado will recommend you do NOT log into the root account normally (just log in as you do on the brown background screen). This is entirely a security and a guardrail because you can really mess up something if you are not absolutely sure what you are doing. Putting "sudo" before a command executes the command as an administrator. Kind of like UAC in Vista (but without the suck :D ).

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have Xubuntu not Ubuntu...

Appriciate the help still :)

Thanks Impulse for the help, but I don't have the internet on it yet... lol

Last edited:

Impulse666

Bah. Shame on me for not reading the whole thread :(

Xubuntu is definitely the better choice. The commands will be the same so the above still works.

Kornowski

VIP Member
lol, It's alright! :)

I'm just getting help from TheresThatGuy to get the wireless internet working on it, can't do anything with-out that... :(