Components questions

ssal

Can you recommend a motherboard compatible to the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor?

Some MB requires a BIOS upddate to be compatible. How do you update a MB BIOS beofore installing the CPU?

I also want to have the PCIe slot(s) and 4 memory banks compatible to DDR4 16gb (total 4x16 gb). Also, on a 4x slot machine, can I put only one 16gb (1 strip) to start with, or do I always need a pair?

I am a little confused about PCIe and M.2. Which is which?

Last but not least, does this processor requires a CPU cooler? I use the machine for video editing, not gaming. If it does, which one you recommend?

Thanks.

Cisco001

if you get X570 motherboard, it will be OK.
If you after B450 motherbaord, I think some MSI would allow update BIOS without CPU

Depends on your budget, but I will say MSI B450 TOMAHAWK will do the job.

If you want 16GB, it always be better to get 2 x 8GB as dual channel run faster. You should get fast RAM like DDR4 3000 or 3200.

PCIe is for add on card
M.2 usually for SSD. If you have healthy budget, have a look at good value nvme ssd like ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Aftermarket CPU cooler is not essential if you are not overclocking.

Last edited:

ssal

if you get X570 motherboard, it will be OK.
If you after B450 motherbaord, I think some MSI would allow update BIOS without CPU

Depends on your budget, but I will say MSI B450 TOMAHAWK will do the job.

If you want 16GB, it always be better to get 2 x 8GB as dual channel run faster. You should get fast RAM like DDR4 3000 or 3200.

PCIe is for add on card
M.2 usually for SSD. If you have healthy budget, have a look at good value nvme ssd like ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Aftermarket CPU cooler is not essential if you are not overclocking.

This one has 1TB for $99. Is it OK?
Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Key Features
  • 1TB Storage Capacity
  • M.2 2280 Form Factor
  • PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Interface
  • Up to 2000 MB/s Sequential Read
Where I am confusing is it said both M.2 and PCIe. Are they the same thing?

Do you have any opinion on this MB? It seems that it is Ryzen 3000 ready and support 4x16 gb of ram.

Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

OmniDyne

I use the machine for video editing, not gaming

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor

What kind of editing? Someone can probably give better advice, but I wonder if you'd be better served by the Ryzen 7 2700.

Also, on a 4x slot machine, can I put only one 16gb (1 strip) to start with, or do I always need a pair?

You're wanting 16GB total?

I am a little confused about PCIe and M.2. Which is which

M.2 usually for SSD

The vast majority of M.2 SSDs utilize PCIe; NVMe is the protocol. M.2 SSDs can also utilize SATA, just like hard disks.

Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6GF81L

That SSD is only $7 more and far superior.

ssal

What kind of editing? Someone can probably give better advice, but I wonder if you'd be better served by the Ryzen 7 2700.

You're wanting 16GB total?

The vast majority of M.2 SSDs utilize PCIe; NVMe is the protocol. M.2 SSDs can also utilize SATA, just like hard disks.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6GF81L

That SSD is only $7 more and far superior.

I plan to edit 4K video with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effect. The programs are CPU and GPU intensive. The access to a fast storage is necessary, thus, the PCIe drive. The small SSD is for the OS and the programs. The HHD is for permanent storage.

I want a 4x slot capable of 64gb max DDR4 ram.

OmniDyne

I plan to edit 4K video with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effect.
If you look at this benchmark review, the Ryzen 7 2700 performs on par or faster than the overclocked Ryzen 5 3600 in Adobe Premier Pro rendering. This would eliminate the need to update the BIOS. If you're not gaming, the 2700 will probably serve you better in the long run.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

The access to a fast storage is necessary, thus, the PCIe drive.
For your type of workloads, I'd avoid the Crucial P1. It's an entry-level SSD not meant for elevated workloads. The drive I linked earlier is more appropriate.

ssal

If you look at this benchmark review, the Ryzen 7 2700 performs on par or faster than the overclocked Ryzen 5 3600 in Adobe Premier Pro rendering. This would eliminate the need to update the BIOS. If you're not gaming, the 2700 will probably serve you better in the long run.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

For your type of workloads, I'd avoid the Crucial P1. It's an entry-level SSD not meant for elevated workloads. The drive I linked earlier is more appropriate.
You're right. The R7-2700 has 8 cores instead of 6 in the R5-3600. For Adobe, more cores the better.
And I will definitely take your advice on the PCIe drive too.

1) https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145083?Item=N82E16813145083 only $73.99 (Oh wow the one you linked in your post turned out to be the same model!). This is recommended for your needs, don't bother with that MSI Tomahawk, it's not gonna do anything different than this one for your needs and will just cost more money.

2) This explains how to update BIOS without CPU https://www.wepc.com/tips/bios-update-for-new-ryzen-3000-chips-x470-b450/

3) You can absolutely start with one stick only, but it'll run in single channel rather than dual channel mode, the latter is much faster. Two 8 gig sticks will beat a single 16 gig stick, but if you plan on adding more later you'll be okay.

4) PCIe is a high bandwidth interface for add-on cards, mainly Graphics Cards. M.2 is a replacement standard for the mSATA specification, and is designed to allow higher bandwidth for SSDs. So if you have a high speed SSD, it may be worth utilizing. The board linked above allows this interface.

5) All processors require a cooler, otherwise they would fry before the login screen, never run one without a heat-sink / cooler. Ryzen CPUs come with a stock cooler, that should be fine for your needs. If instead you plan on overclocking however, you want to invest in an after market cooler.

Last edited:

ssal

3) You can absolutely start with one stick only, but it'll run in single channel rather than dual channel mode, the latter is much faster. Two 8 gig sticks will beat a single 16 gig stick, but if you plan on adding more later you'll be okay.

Would the slowness be noticeable? Starting with 1x 16gb would save me the trouble of getting ride of the 2x 8gb when I want to upgrade the memory down the road.

_Kyle_

Would the slowness be noticeable? Starting with 1x 16gb would save me the trouble of getting ride of the 2x 8gb when I want to upgrade the memory down the road.
It wouldn't be very noticeable. If you plan on a upgrade in the future then stick with single channel for now.

Or get a MOBO with more than 2 channels and then invest in a 2x8 kit now and another later.

ssal

It wouldn't be very noticeable. If you plan on a upgrade in the future then stick with single channel for now.

Or get a MOBO with more than 2 channels and then invest in a 2x8 kit now and another later.
I guess I don't understand how channels affect memory performance.

Can I put just 1x 16 gb DDR4 ram in one of the 4 slots in this motherboad?

Darren

Staff member
I guess I don't understand how channels affect memory performance.

Can I put just 1x 16 gb DDR4 ram in one of the 4 slots in this motherboad?
Think of it as 4 cars driving down a one lane road. Assuming no blockages all 4 cars will get down the road eventually. If you open it up to two lanes you can have the cars go 2 by 2 and get thru faster. It's still 4 cars going thru, but you have more bandwidth. Same for dual channel vs single channel (on a basic level).

ssal

Think of it as 4 cars driving down a one lane road. Assuming no blockages all 4 cars will get down the road eventually. If you open it up to two lanes you can have the cars go 2 by 2 and get thru faster. It's still 4 cars going thru, but you have more bandwidth. Same for dual channel vs single channel (on a basic level).
So, in order to take advantage of the channels, I need to do 2x8gb instead of 1x16gb?

Darren

Staff member
So, in order to take advantage of the channels, I need to do 2x8gb instead of 1x16gb?
Yes. Just get 2x8GB. If you need more down the line you can add another 2x8GB or even 2x16GB. They don't all have to match. Buying only 1x16GB stick now to allocate for potential (but likely far out) upgrades doesn't make much sense if you're sacrificing performance now.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Buying only 1x16GB stick now to allocate for potential (but likely far out) upgrades doesn't make much sense if you're sacrificing performance now.
I tend to agree, but it could make sense if it's an internet/email/office machine.

Darren

Staff member
I tend to agree, but it could make sense if it's an internet/email/office machine.
100 percent agree there, if there's a noticeable price difference between a 2x8GB vs 1x16GB for a basic internet/office machine that's fine.