Compressor to clean pc continued...

Benny Boy

Its actually one in the same. The condensation is caused by the air pressure. Both produce condensation as a result of the pressure.
It's not the same. Pressure will cause water condensation in the compressor's tank because the pressure is created by air. The cans pressure is engineered by chemicals/gas and produce for the most part an insignificant amount of residue. A compressor, assuming it has a tank, has another way to produce condensation that the can doesn't. Temperature variations. Compressors generally aren't stored in a climate controlled environment like the can.
Im not 100% sure, but I can bet the pressure from a can of compressed air is higher than that of a normal air compressor (probably close to at least 200psi) which is alot of pressure which is why with canned air the condensation builds up quicker than with an air compressor.
A 10oz duster can is about 85psi untill after you pull the trigger the first time - less as you use it. Not 100 and 200 is in the stratusphere.
As for compressors that use oil, have no idea. Never used one.
I have more than an idea. I've used compressors from as small as a tankless few lbs put-putting along for an airbrush to HVLP setups that use turbins for thier air, etc to a v8 rig for large equipment. And dozens of various other in-between sizes, models, and types for many types of tools and equipment. I'm no compressor expert but I definatley have a lot of experience using them, and have learned some things along the way. Including extensive experience in a field where compressor produced water/oil/residue in general, even when it's presents isn't visable coming out of a nozzle, makes a significant impact. Whether a compressor is gas or electric has no bearing on whether it will procude water/oil/residue in the tank or air lines.
But an electric air compressor that does not use oil (at least Im pretty sure mine doesnt) should not produce near as much condensation as canned air due to lower pressure (unless your using some very expensive fancy air compressor to clean your PC).
Tanked compressors produce/aquire moisture. Plain and simple. Since I don't work at a canned duster factory I won't 100% say that the can doesn't produce any condensation while in use, but I don't think it does because its gas pressure not air pressure, and because of its environment. And if it somehow does produce it, I think the chemicals used to make it could very well chemically change H2O to prevent it. The important part here is that a compressor does in fact create 100's of x more moisture , even if the can produces any at all.

The tank can have moisture from temperature changes, let alone any created by any amount of air pressure. As a matter of fact, smaller tanks have a higher propensity for it.
In either case, unless your spraying out one spot on your computer for a minute or 2 solid there is no worry of any condensation reaching the components. Most smaller air compressors with say a 5 gallon tank (mine is 1 gallon) will run out of pressure before any unsafe amount of condensation is built up. My 1 gallon air compressor wont put out 100psi long enough for ANY condensation to build up.
Im just trying to say, that there should be no need to worry about condensation when using air compressors to clean out computers.
Unreasonable because the time spent in spraying out our computer is time spent spraying out your computer. Doesn't matter if it's for 2 minutes in one spot or for 20 secs at a time 6 different times at different spots. Its still 2 minutes of spraying your computer. If thre's something in the tank or line thats going to come out, during which 2 minutes do you want it? If you haven't properly maintained your compressor, it has water/rust in the tank.

You probably have a 'pancake' type compressor that gets it name from the shape of the tank, altho it could be one with the conventionally shaped one. The tank size tells me it has an electric motor(even tho you already said so) and it has an 'oil free' compressor, meaning it doesn't use oil for lubrication due to its Teflon parts. It's probably regulated for 120max psi as noted on the regulators guage. Carpenters/woodworkers like those for field use because of its size, its portable, takes one hand to carry it, lower power draw for extension cords, temp utility poles, commonly amped sockets, and nail guns only need short bursts of usually 90lbs depending on the gun. Staple guns and brad tackers require less. And they're handy around the house for airing up a tire and such. You might be able to use it with a siphon type cup paint gun for a small sized object or for short periods of time with on a hopper depending on the vescosity of the material, something like that...

Rust. It will be present in a steel tank.

If the compressor (not motor) is the type that uses oil for lubrication, the oil will seep past the piston rings and valve guides and make its way into the pipes/copper tubing that feed the compressed air to the tank and eventually into the tank itself.

Remember that small amounts of residue may not be seen.
If your going to use a compressor to clean a pc, avoid risk and take some precautions.
Before each use:
Make sure the compressor's plug and the wall socket has ground.
Pump the unit up, power it off and unplug it.
Some eye protection wouldn't hurt.
Crack open the cockpit(drain plug)on the tank. Just barely open it because opening it too far allows the air pressure to push the fluid to the side of the opening instead of it reaching and emptying out of the drain hole. Altho the cockpit is strategically placed to allow for drainage, the tank usually requires a slight tilt to get that perfectly positioned if you want to be sure and drain all you can.

Get something like this that fits. This type goes between the regulator and the hose, or you can find one that fits behind the nozzle.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100027474/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=compressor+air+filter&storeId=10051

And if I was always going to use a compressor for a pc I would have the cheap vinyl air hose instead of the better ones that have steel mesh reinforcment, just so I wouldn't have metal extending from the wall socket to the nozzle.

Use just enough pressure to move loose dust and use something like a soft brustle brush(paint brush) for dust that isn't loose.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Wow. Talk about over thinking something. If you really feel that strongly about it then just dont use a compressor man......but im telling you from years of experience a small electric compressor will pose no more risk than canned air.

Which is none.

FuryRosewood

...add a inline air filter to an air compressor...gets rid of the condensation your worried about as well as contaminants as well as giving you a valve you can dial out pressure with...not hard, the filter costs 10 bucks...3 cans of air...10 bucks... the compressor might be 100 for a small one, i wish i still had mine...super convenient.

-cliffnotes version of that wall of text

Last edited:

G80FTW

...add a inline air filter to an air compressor...gets rid of the condensation your worried about as well as contaminants as well as giving you a valve you can dial out pressure with...not hard, the filter costs 10 bucks...3 cans of air...10 bucks... the compressor might be 100 for a small one, i wish i still had mine...super convenient.

Paid $50 for my walmart compressor and bought it specifically to dust out my PC. Iv tried to use it to air up tyres, but the damn thing is useless for any kind of inflation.

FuryRosewood

my compressor from target worked well for that, was a 3 pound tank and a 1/2 hp motor to fill the tank, it however did cost 100 bucks may be a case of walmart 'quality' there

Last edited:

G80FTW

This is my compressor:

And like I said, I bought it specifically for this purpose. So it has always been inside I dont store it outside. And I always drain the tank after use.

gigabiteme

just a thought

any kind of air compressor that produces air pressure also intakes water that
is present in the air it takes in. it is possible to aero can air water free by adding some nitrogen. the moisture you see after spraying with canned air
is probably picked up after the spray nozzle between the tip and whatever you are spraying-temperature differential/ notice how cold the spray can air is
the cold will p/u moisture on it's way out of the can- a good water seperator
for an aircompresor is about 200.00-(painters use it)anyway/ just a version

G80FTW

any kind of air compressor that produces air pressure also intakes water that
is present in the air it takes in. it is possible to aero can air water free by adding some nitrogen. the moisture you see after spraying with canned air
is probably picked up after the spray nozzle between the tip and whatever you are spraying-temperature differential/ notice how cold the spray can air is
the cold will p/u moisture on it's way out of the can- a good water seperator
for an aircompresor is about 200.00-(painters use it)anyway/ just a version

Cold? Iv had that stuff almost turn to ice it got so cold.

Now, I dont know a whole lot about physics (although I will be taking some classes soon) but I think that is caused because the pressure in the can is decreasing at such a fast rate and decreasing air pressure = cold and can cause condensation I believe.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Had to replace the Husky one at work. Got a $100 3Gal tank Craftsman. Worth the investment because it's nice and portable, and you can use it for more than just blowing out computers.

FuryRosewood

I had the same brand, but it wasnt a pancake shaped tank, had the same tuning thingie, but otherwise was a great unit, just need to add a inline filter to that bugger to cut down on the moisture, that would make it ideal for cleaning a PC (C&H that is)

Last edited:

G80FTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

This appears to be a good read. I dont know much about canned air, I was under the impression it was as labeled and just compressed air in a can. Appears they dont use air but rather a mixture of chemicals.

But appears there are ones that use ordinary air instead of chemicals.

All I know, is that canned air whether chemicals or not does produce condensation on the outside of the can when used for a long enough period of time.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

Wow. Talk about over thinking something. If you really feel that strongly about it then just dont use a compressor man......
>No. I didn't have to think about it. I already knew it.
>The 'wall of text' was needed to explain to you what you obviously didn't know, which is evident by your replys to my statements in the other thread and your disproven quotes in that wall.
>It's not about using or not using a compressor. It's about you starting a debate with me over my "Compressors build up condensation. A small amount of moisture coming from the nozzle may not be seen. A moisture filter would help." that I posted without quoting or even talking to you..
>..but I will now. I wouldn't imply to the world to [simply] use a compressor to blow out a computer.
>Only now, after I say so, do you say that you keep your compressor in the house and drain it. Up there ^ you said it doesn't get condensation. Make up your mind or just go with my facts.
>You prompted my self defence. If you wanna keep coming after me in these threads when I don't even address you, go ahead. But you better have your facts straight.

G80FTW

>No. I didn't have to think about it. I already knew it.
>The 'wall of text' was needed to explain to you what you obviously didn't know, which is evident by your replys to my statements in the other thread and your disproven quotes in that wall.
>It's not about using or not using a compressor. It's about you starting a debate with me over my "Compressors build up condensation. A small amount of moisture coming from the nozzle may not be seen. A moisture filter would help." that I posted without quoting or even talking to you..
>..but I will now. I wouldn't imply to the world to [simply] use a compressor to blow out a computer.
>Only now, after I say so, do you say that you keep your compressor in the house and drain it. Up there ^ you said it doesn't get condensation. Make up your mind or just go with my facts.
>You prompted my self defence. If you wanna keep coming after me in these threads when I don't even address you, go ahead. But you better have your facts straight.

Woa dude.

First off, Im glad you made this thread man. It shows alot of commitment to prove me wrong on the subject.

Now, granted I dont know a whole lot about air compressors/canned air but I do know that BOTH will cause condensation. Whether or not there is moisture in the air that comes out of the can, I am not sure. It says there is not, but it sure feels like there is.

Also, your right. You cant usually see moisture in the air at all. But you can FEEL moisture. Even the slightest amount the body can feel. Now, I dont mean to say that you will be able to know exactly how much moisture (if any) is in the air that is being pushed out but I am saying that a small air compressor like the one I have will not produce a noticeable amount of moisture.

Lastly, I didnt feel like I had to state that I kept my compressor indoors. And how does that contradict that it doesnt produce alot of condensation? Its being used in a low moisture environment indoors a more controlled climate and to boot it has a very small tank that depletes almost instantly with a small amount of pressure. I have never seen any condensation build up in or outside the tank since I have owned and used it. When I drain it, I drain the air. There is no water or anything else that comes out. Just air.

And I wasnt coming after you man. I was stating that both canned air and air compressors produce condensation. Which is true. As I said, whether or not there is moisture in the air that is expelled, I bet you there is even if it says there isnt. I can feel it. You said air compressors produce condensation, which is true, I was just saying its no different than canned air.

Last edited:

zombine210

i used a compressor on my gaming rig about three weeks ago. it's a small one, maybe 10 gallons. still heavy enough, it's on wheels.

i had absolutely no problemo! ;)

it actually has a pressure gauge, so it doesn't blow the computer apart.

FuryRosewood

canned air has one tragic flaw though, you tilt it too far and spray, you eject those super cold chemicals and you make a ton of condensation....you cannot do that with a air compressor...there are no chemicals to make that reaction.

Benny Boy

canned air has one tragic flaw though, you tilt it too far and spray, you eject those super cold chemicals and you make a ton of condensation....you cannot do that with a air compressor...there are no chemicals to make that reaction.
Yeah, that is the thing about those. Esp for a pc when you want those angles.

I never siad which I thought was better between those 2.
For a home user, and even better a shop, I would suggest a compressor as a good way to go > as long as you keep the tank and filter clean and I would highly suggest a filter for moisture/particles or anything else. Keeping it indoors helps. Plus, you can get blower attachments of various size and shapes.

Last edited:

claptonman

Its kind of like getting a good PSU. Sure, you might have a PSU that people label crap and it works for now, but that doesn't rule out other people getting the same one and having it take out components. And doesn't rule out that something might happen.

Just because you use it for a long time with no problems, doesn't mean something could happen eventually or other people might experience problems.

So basically, better safe than sorry, so get a filter.

dave1701

I lug my PC out to the shed and use the air compressor which sits out there to blow it out. Never had any problems.