Computer acting funny

Rollofthedice

So I had used my computer just yesterday and set it to standby as usual. This morning when I tried to turn it on it, the blue power light came on, but there was no image on my monitor.

Other info if helpful:

Computer is a little over a year old.
Monitor has tv and computer monitor capability (Really convenient by the way.)

I ended up turning it off and then back on, still didn't work. So then I unplugged and turned everything off and replugged and turned everything back on. The computer came on this time and the image on the screen was an error prompt - something about Windows failing to reboot the first time, and trying again or starting over. Started over and it seems to be working fine now.

The thing that gets me is that there are no apparent symptoms. With an older computer I had it die on me while I was using it and it ended up being a bad power supply. In this case, I'm pretty sure the connections were all good and have no idea what the cause is...

Also so I don't need to make a new thread, when I click on the scrollbar of my mouse to open a new tab (as it used to do), it now opens two tabs which is a little annoying. Any ideas here either?

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about the mouse issue, but the pc issue could be loose or bad cable connections. Also possible failing hard drive or hardware. If the system is getting old then its probably failing hardware.

bmtt

I had the same issue. It was a corruption on the hard drive, I just replaced it and I was back up and running.

Rollofthedice

I had the same issue. It was a corruption on the hard drive, I just replaced it and I was back up and running.

Not too sure what that means. So that's not something that reformatting or a full system recovery would fix? If that ends up being my issue.

513.CB

formatting the drive may temporarily solve the issue, but if you have a failing drive, it is only a matter of time before it corrupts again. I would suggest pulling the data with a sata/ide-USB cable (25$ tigerdirect) while the hard drive still spins and data is retrievable and buy a new hard drive.

Rollofthedice

formatting the drive may temporarily solve the issue, but if you have a failing drive, it is only a matter of time before it corrupts again. I would suggest pulling the data with a sata/ide-USB cable (25$ tigerdirect) while the hard drive still spins and data is retrievable and buy a new hard drive.

Ok, I do have a MyPassport backup I've been using. It had been a couple of months since I backed up my data, though. I guess I should probably do that more often. Think I'm gonna wait to replace it until it dies. Thanks.