Computer automatically restarts before login screen

sbressler

I have an HP zd7140 (zd7000 series). Just a few days ago, when I booted it up, it restarted after I saw the scrolling blue bar with the XP logo (have had SP2 for a while). The screen goes black, then goes between a few different colors (black | teal | off | black | restart). I made a Bart PE boot disk and booted into Bart PE fine, ran Stinger by McAfee and found no viruses. I also ran a chkdsk on the C: drive, which I could explore in Bart PE using the built-in GUI interface or a command prompt. Yet no matter what I do, the computer still restarts before I see the login screen. The same happens when trying to boot to Safe Mode, with or without any of the options. I don't know what is going on, but I really need a file off the computer and in Bart PE, there doesn't seem to be much way other than over the network to transfer a file. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

BMcCoy

It sound like your hard drive may be shot. If you have an external hard drive, you can transfer the file with that. If the file is not that large, you can even use a jump drive. :D Hope this helps...

Ben

BMcCoy

Barts will allow you to browse the hard drive until the drive is dead. I would reccomend getting the file off asap though.

Ben