Computer Beeping at start up ?

jutnm

I took my parts out from my PC to dust and clean, but when i reassembled everything it gives me 7 short beeps.Nothing shows up on my monitor as well. I looked online but didnt really find anything but it says that the beeps could mean bad memory ? :confused:

some help would be great ! :D

pies

Try testing the memory if you have some spare stuff lying around.
Or download memtest burn it to a cd/dvd and boot from it and run a test that way.

jutnm

i was planning on going to frys and buyin 512 mb of pc6400 but i will do the dld mem test :D

Atrosity

Yeah, your computer is not posting.

First thing I would do is check to see if everything was put back properly, check everything you touched.

The same error saying you have a bad CPU goes for a bad Mother Board, you really don't know unless you do trial and error.

Make sure everything is connected and try putting in only 1 memory stick to see if that helps as well. If one stick is bad then your computer will not boot.

jutnm

thanks guys, im going to try my expansions slots, if not then could be a bad cpu ? damn

ok so to be more clear on this its actually

first - 3 really super quick beeps
then- 6 slow beeps after the 3 quick beeps

Last edited:

1337dingo

oh i think that might be memory .. make sure your ram is in properly we had that at work and one of the sticks of ram was loose