Computer Boots Directly to Windows

korat2000

Hi......just upgraded my desktop to ssd and asus motherboard but something strange is happening. The computer boots direct in Win 10 and there is no boot sequence......cant even get to BIOS - it is as though the only think that exists is Windows 10. It takes about 1 minute a get to Win 10 ( the ssd is very fast ) and Windows does work as it should - very fast too. Just for a trial I tried to boot from USB but then the computer by passes it and goes direct to Windows. My friend who is a computer technician had a look at it and he too could not get anything on the screen at all.....even after the hard drives and everything else except the screen were disconnected . The screen stays black. Could not get even "no system available" .He said try another screen because maybe the screen is not displaying anything and goes right to Windows. I said if there was something wrong with the screen it would not show windows perfectly. He said that it is the first time he has come across anything like this and he was totally stumped. I can work ok with windows but a far as any boot sequence goes or any display before it gets to windows there is nothing.
We tried pressing f2. f10, delete, esc on boot but the computer locks altogether.

Anyone has any ideas?

Korat

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disable OEM logo on bootup may help with that. What Asus motherboard is it? My guess is that there are options for fast boot enabled and you may have to disable secure boot if its enabled. But in order to access bios again, you most likely will have to reset bios by removing the cmos battery. I'm not sure why you can't get into bios with all SSD's and HDD's disconnected. There also may be a bios update for that board regarding this issue. Once we get motherboard model we can help with that.

To reset cmos, unplug power from power supply, remove cmos battery from motherboard, press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds, then wait 5-10 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up and see what comes on the screen.

Please note, that resetting cmos will reset everything back to defaults so if had made any changes in bios, you would have to redo that.

Darren

Staff member
Press and hold shift while clicking restart within Windows and it should reboot and kick you into the recovery menu. From there you can usually tell it to get into the BIOS/UEFI.

korat2000

Disable OEM logo on bootup may help with that. What Asus motherboard is it? My guess is that there are options for fast boot enabled and you may have to disable secure boot if its enabled. But in order to access bios again, you most likely will have to reset bios by removing the cmos battery. I'm not sure why you can't get into bios with all SSD's and HDD's disconnected. There also may be a bios update for that board regarding this issue. Once we get motherboard model we can help with that.

To reset cmos, unplug power from power supply, remove cmos battery from motherboard, press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds, then wait 5-10 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up and see what comes on the screen.

Please note, that resetting cmos will reset everything back to defaults so if had made any changes in bios, you would have to redo that.
The MB is Asus Prime H410M-R and is very new and fast boot in windows had been disabled days ago. I haven't made any changes in bios simply because I cant get into bios at all. At the present state the MB will not get to bios, will not load ANY USB Installation drive- just bypasses everything and goes direct to Windows. I am sure that the problem lies somewhere with the MB. When you open an Asus computer usually you get the Asus Logo - from which you get to BIOS - followed by the boot sequence - but here nothing.

korat2000

Press and hold shift while clicking restart within Windows and it should reboot and kick you into the recovery menu. From there you can usually tell it to get into the BIOS/UEFI.
Been to the recovery menu many times already but each time selecting restart does just that....restarts and goes into Windows yet again.

Darren

Staff member
Reset CMOS and disconnect all drives, it has to boot into a BIOS somewhere... Maybe run direct onboard video if it has it.

Jiniix

Been to the recovery menu many times already but each time selecting restart does just that....restarts and goes into Windows yet again.
Are you selecting the UEFI reboot option?
To make sure (might vary a bit from Windows 10 versions, but endpoint should be the same):
Open CMD (Start button+R, type "cmd") -> type "shutdown -r -O -t 0" -> Pick Advanced Options -> Pick UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart
This should kick you straight in your BIOS/UEFI settings without having to click F1/Delete.
If that doesn't work, resetting the CMOS might be your best bet, seeing as you tried removing the drives.

Last edited:

korat2000

Yes I am am selecting UEFI option but when I hit restart again it boots and goes straight to Windows. Apparently something is wrong with the MB somewhere but on the other hand if that were the case would it go to Windows at all?

Darren

Staff member
Try onboard video with no disks connected, if no luck. Reset CMOS and try again. It's gotta send you somewhere. Sometimes you can freak out the system enough by starting it without any RAM in it, it should beep or not POST in general. Then try one stick back in, and it should load some defaults and show you some kind of BIOS. Had to use that trick before once or twice.

I have seen a couple machines where the UEFI option in the Windows boot menu doesn't work. But there's a BIOS somewhere down there.

korat2000

Try onboard video with no disks connected, if no luck. Reset CMOS and try again. It's gotta send you somewhere. Sometimes you can freak out the system enough by starting it without any RAM in it, it should beep or not POST in general. Then try one stick back in, and it should load some defaults and show you some kind of BIOS. Had to use that trick before once or twice.

I have seen a couple machines where the UEFI option in the Windows boot menu doesn't work. But there's a BIOS somewhere down there.
Yes I know that there is a BIOS down there somewhere.........but I will try everything possible short of returning the MB to the shop

korat2000

Okay this is getting a bit ridiculous......took the computer to my friends shop.....and holy cripton.......it worked perfectly.......Asus, Bios....all as it should......took the dam thing home again hooked everything up.....and what do you know - the exact same as before !!!! What he has got different electricity or what?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you build this pc yourself? Are you sure there isn't something grounding out somewhere? Try taking the motherboard out of the case and try booting up. If it works there then there is a short somewhere. Either standoff where it shouldn't be or possibly something on the I/O shield is getting inside one of the ports on the back of the motherboard.

korat2000

no it was done at the computer shop....actually an upgrade. And at the shop it works 100% but at home it does not work. It is as though it
by passes everything and goes right to windows. Cant even boot from a USB drive . I dont want to put it in safe boot mode from windows
as I am not sure I will see anything - and if not see anything that screws everything up. An idea was mentioned that the screen is not displaying but if that were the case sure it would not show windows too.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using the same mouse/keyboard as you are at home? There has to be something different used at the shop then what is being used at your home.

korat2000

Using the same mouse/keyboard as you are at home? There has to be something different used at the shop then what is being used at your home.
At home using the same kb and mouse.....and other kb's and mice.....nothing happens......took my kb and mouse to the shop my keyboard and mouse actually WORK.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the movement of the case is causing an issue somewhere. Thats why I say remove the motherboard from the case. My guess is something with a usb port. You will have to go over everything. Disconnect the front usb ports cable from the motherboard and try again?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Go into the control panel, power options and uncheck fast boot option. Shut down. Then when you hit the power button start hitting either F2 or F9 or Delete like a mad man.