Computer BSODing, seems to be having issues

Pyotr

Computer exploding, full story inside

I changed the thread title, forum needs more drama.
Last few days, my new computer has been BSODing a lot and it seems to be happening randomly.
So far I have run Prime95 (for an hour only) to just see what happens. I have removed all overclocking for CPU and RAM.

I have also looked at the dump files created at the crashes, and they all point to ntoskrnl.exe, which after a quick google could mean pretty much anything. I also get different bug check strings after each crash. So far, in reverse chronological order:
BAD_POOL_HEADER
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

I would post said dump files, but my only USB stick is not at home at the moment. That is also the reason I have not done memtest.

Last thing that has happened so far is that Windows can't connect to the internet. It obviously works fine on my other PC, so it's the new one having problems.

I'm not really sure what to do next except memtest and possibly post dump files (or just post whatever error code and parameters you need), so I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Last edited:

_Breach

I changed the thread title, forum needs more drama.
Last few days, my new computer has been BSODing a lot and it seems to be happening randomly.
So far I have run Prime95 (for an hour only) to just see what happens. I have removed all overclocking for CPU and RAM.

I have also looked at the dump files created at the crashes, and they all point to ntoskrnl.exe, which after a quick google could mean pretty much anything. I also get different bug check strings after each crash. So far, in reverse chronological order:
BAD_POOL_HEADER
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

I would post said dump files, but my only USB stick is not at home at the moment. That is also the reason I have not done memtest.

Last thing that has happened so far is that Windows can't connect to the internet. It obviously works fine on my other PC, so it's the new one having problems.

I'm not really sure what to do next except memtest and possibly post dump files (or just post whatever error code and parameters you need), so I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Are all of your drivers up-to-date? I've saw a lot of people fix these problems with a simple driver update.

You should try memtest and let it run until you get 7+ passes and then report back here.

Pyotr

I am pretty sure all my drivers are up to date. Last one to update was the graphics drivers just a few days ago (alarm bells should be ringing).

I'm trying to get memtest to work from usb drive, but no success at all with that.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Burn the ISO to a CD and run the test that way. Boot off the CD and run the test. Run it once with all the sticks in, then gradually start removing sticks. It's quite likely you have a faulty stick.

May or may not be worth updating the firmware on your SSD too. Run Memtest and check your RAM before you try that though.

Pyotr

I don't think I actually have any CDs or DVDs anywhere anymore.. :p Will see what I can do. But for now, it's running Startup Repair forever and ever it seems.

spirit

Staff member
Seems like you either have bad memory or a bad HDD. Do you have any HDDs in your system besides your SSD?

Pyotr

Yes, a 1TB Seage Barracuda. OS only on SSD, all games and everything on the Seagate. Just managed to find and hopefully burn Memtest, will see how it goes. Not sure which I prefer to be broken, but probably RAM because if only one stick is bad I can at least use my computer until I get a new one.

It's the first time so far it has NOT managed to run through the repair (even if it doesn't seem to fix anything). Might be good to point out.

spirit

Staff member
Stop the test, remove one or two of your sticks and try again. Something is obviously up.

Pyotr

Will do. Doesn't matter which slots I use, right?
The program said my RAM ran at 800 MHz by the way. Is that normal or another sign something is up?

spirit

Staff member
Wouldn't worry about the freq Memtest says it's running at.

Shouldn't matter which slot you use, some boards can be picky though and will not boot with only one stick of RAM. Not sure about yours.

Pyotr

3 tests, no error on one stick. Means I can still use the PC at least. :) Just hope I can get a replacement for just one. Warranty still there at least. And they usually send candy with their shipments. Will try to run it a bit tonight, see if anything breaks (if it does, it's the motherboard, yeah?) and if not I'll call the store tomorrow and cry a little.
Thanks for the help so far!

spirit

Staff member
If you bought the DIMMs as a kit you'll have to send them all back or back in their respective kits. This is why I always keep the packaging my products come in. ;) It came in handy when I had to send some of my faulty RAM back earlier on this year.

Pyotr

I can't get online either.. :(
What would disabling my storage drive do or prove? Not arguing against it, just want to know what I'm doing.

spirit

Staff member
It would prove that your HDD could be bad and making your system crash and be slow.

I've had cases where bad HDDs (even ones which Windows is not installed on) have made Windows slow to load and made it crash.

spirit

Staff member
No but that is likely another problem.

You may just have a bad install of Windows and you may need to reinstall.

You're not running in Safe Mode are you?

Pyotr

No, completely 100% sure it's a normal start. Aside from any problems I get.

If I reinstall, and my games are all on the Seagate, can I get them to run easily? Yes, that's super important. :p
I also notice the port light on my router is not lit when the PC is running. I doubt it's a problem with the router, but will try other ports. Motherboard damage?