Computer Build for recording. <$500 USD

leSHok

hey forum, it's been forever since i posted here but i check in every now and again.

ive been out of the loop for so long so i need some help in deciding what to get for a pc.

main uses:
-recording via firewire from a presonus FP10
-light video editing -think of those drum videos on youtube, nothing super fancy
-internet
-light gaming (cs source and chivalry)

must haves besides the normal stuff
-ssd -gonna run windows 7 if i can and i will record and edit using an external
-firewire (card or on mobo)
-dual monitor capability (might need separate video card)
-wireless card or on mobo
-i would LOVE to have a micro atx case or something somewhat portable if possible (dreaming perhaps)

i have the os, keyboard, mouse, and monitors right now.

thanks for your help!

Jiniix

Should be able to be done, but your budget is very low for an SSD machine.
And you don't have to worry about dual monitors - even the most basic new motherboards (without a dedicated GPU) can run 3 monitors. But you'll need a GPU for CS:S - but not necessarily a high-end one.

Gave it a try. Would require that you used an old harddrive or you extended your budget about $65 :)

Total: $524

This is about as basic a PC I would build. Going below this, the price/performance drops a lot. And this is without WiFi or FireWire, but I can't imagine that'd be expensive and the mobo has a bunch of PCI slots.
Also, the case is not mATX, but the components are. Couldn't find a better case in the time I had, I'm at work :)

Last edited:

Jiniix

CX430 is $5 cheaper
Only a potential $5-10 to be saved on RAM - if he drops to something like Team Elite instead of Corsair.
I assume you mean an FX-6300. That + the motherboard is $217, while 760K+FM2A75 is $150 - and we are already $24 above budget with missing FireWire and WiFi.
I only take prices from Newegg btw, haven't used PCPartpicker or anything.

Okedokey

Well i wouldnt want to video encode on that machine, and given it hasn't got 1394, you haven't answered the brief, so you yeah, reduce the ram spend, save on PSU and spend the extra on a 1394PCIe card.

Jiniix

Why wouldn't you want to encode on that machine? The only difference is 2 less cores, lacking L3 cache and FireWire/WiFi - but it's a lot cheaper and almost within budget.
Encore ENEWI-1XN42: $14 ($20)
Bytecc BT-FW310V: $10

Don't get me wrong. AM3+ is obviously better, but I challenge you to make a build that's within budget range and doesn't use sub-par components :)

Okedokey

Why wouldn't you want to encode on that machine? The only difference is 2 less cores, lacking L3 cache and FireWire/WiFi - but it's a lot cheaper and almost within budget.
Encore ENEWI-1XN42: $14 ($20)
Bytecc BT-FW310V: $10

Don't get me wrong. AM3+ is obviously better, but I challenge you to make a build that's within budget range and doesn't use sub-par components :)

The things is, you don't need that much ram, that much psu, that much graphics. Onboard HD4000, 350WPSU and a 3770 with 8GB RAM is a better option.,

leSHok

hey dudes,

i took a mix of your advice and just went over my budget. if there's a better cheaper case, lemme know.

Video card too... what I use now is a total joke. Maybe 512mb and it's super old. Runs CSS just fine. (this is without the 2 fans someone above suggested, will add if i buy).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3B0Z6

(my signature is not my rig)

Jiniix

Looks good to me. You're not going to get a much better case for $35 I think.
You'll be able to play just about any game at medium or higher I'd say.

Okedokey

How are you connecting via firewire though? I don't see 1394 on that motherboard? And you don't need anything near a 500W PSU. PC Per built a very similar machine and it drew less than 200W form the wall.

Jiniix

I linked him a FireWire PCI for ~$10 that fits in the board.
And what is the issue with paying $5 for 70W more? I really don't see it.

leSHok

Ended up finding a used computer that hit just about every spec minus firewire and wireless card. thats easy enough to add.