Computer Build! What to add/remove, Help

Shawnhill07

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8692246&WishListTitle=Home

dont know if link works and items are viewable. I dont wanna be cheap on the mobo. everything else I can be pretty cheap for now. Trying to make it as cheap as possible, no slower then 2.5ghz (duo min.), No less then 2gb RAM. 32bit or 64 bit doesnt matter. Dont wanna spend more then 1200usd.

It will be used for School(not much needed in performance here), Videos, Only game will be sims(8500 ran sims good on crap comp lol), As I will be upgrading this comp once i can afford the parts. Mainly tools will be used is virtualization such as virtualpc2007 or vmware for network and server testing and learning.

use link to view items works now!

Last edited:

Steelshivan

Overall your build looks in pretty good shape. The only thing I would change for sure is your case/psu situation. You will be wanting a better psu for your system, a quality psu in the 600-700W area would work well.

I would also go with Vista rather than XP, but that is your call.

Last edited:

Shawnhill07

Your link doesn't work.

Do you need the tower only, or other things such as keyboard, monitor, OS, etc?

At any rate, you can build a fairly nice system for $1200 usd. I would recommend an Intel system over AMD at this time.

As for your minimum cpu speed requirement of 2.5Ghz...fair enough on that. But I am unsure of your understanding of cpu clock speeds. If you are basing your judgment on Pentium 4 processors, you will need a processor speed adjustment for newer stuff. If you are already up to speed, 2.5Ghz as a min. sounds just fine as well, as you have plenty of affordable options above that.

yes 2.5 based on duo. so whats that around 5ghz.
I need everything I have absolutley nothing, so case, os, keyboard, mouse,hardware, everything.
link fixed

Shawnhill07

Overall your build looks in pretty good shape. The only thing I would change for sure is your case/psu situation. You will be wanting a better psu for your system, a quality psu in the 600-700W area would work well.

I would also go with Vista rather than XP, but that is your call.

ya I like to but saving a little money, as I would need ultimate for the virtualization tools.

if its an upgrade does it make any diff in the system? I mean if I used 98 then upgraded to ultimate?

Steelshivan

What is the main use of the computer?

"It will be used for School(not much needed in performance here), Videos, Only game will be sims(8500 ran sims good on crap comp lol), As I will be upgrading this comp once i can afford the parts. Mainly tools will be used is virtualization such as virtualpc2007 or vmware for network and server testing and learning."

I HIGHLY recommend you do not use the psu that comes with that case. As in, I would go cheaper on most any of your build components to have a better psu. For example: if the only game you ever will play is the Sims, why have an 8800GT when you can't afford a better psu? You could get a nice 8800GS instead and buy a separate, quality $50 psu...if not even a lower video card.

And I can cite similar examples for several more of your components.

Last edited:

Shawnhill07

"It will be used for School(not much needed in performance here), Videos, Only game will be sims(8500 ran sims good on crap comp lol), As I will be upgrading this comp once i can afford the parts. Mainly tools will be used is virtualization such as virtualpc2007 or vmware for network and server testing and learning."

I HIGHLY recommend you do not use the psu that comes with that case. As in, I would go cheaper on most any of your build components to have a better psu. For example: if the only game you ever will play is the Sims, why have an 8800GT when you can't afford a better psu? And I can cite similar examples for several more of your components.

please do suggest the items you think best. This is also my first build! so even if you changed everything its cool i love suggestions and oppinions and critisism(cant spell >.<)

curtains

personally I'd go with a q6600 only like $10 or $20 more but then again .. not many people make use of the muiltytasking ability .. i certinatly do ... I know u said no slower than 2.5ghz .. but i'm sure u'll benifit 4x 2.4ghz cores than 2x 3.0ghz, and since u have a aftermarket heatsink .. i'm guessing u plan on overclocking it anyways so it doesn't really matter... cause if not then u don't need one .. the stock heatsink works perfectly fine(oh btw a dual core 2.5ghz processor doesn't = to 5ghz of performace).

if ur gona get performance ram atleast get some better performance ram(which is rated to a higher speed) .. if not, i'm sure generic ddrII 800 ram do the same job well u won't notice the difference anyways.

I don't think u'll need a 600 - 700watt PSU, nothing in ur system will use that much. CPU like 80watts, hdd like 15watt DVD rom like 10watt .. FX card like 225watt max prob like under 100watts on average(if ur playing like the sims) .. ram like 15watt a stick... just get a quality 500watt power supply and u'll be fine.

I read somewhere u were on a budget .. most mobo's now days has pretty good onboard sound.. if ur not a sound freak u won't notice the difference from a sound card.

Oh and about motherboards .. if u donno much bout motherboard features then get a cheap one .. If u donno wat raid, SLI, duel gigabit lan etc... oh main one is overclocking if ur not gona do it .. then get a cheaper mobo .. and u won't need a aftermarket heatsink.. like i said b4

curtains

Oh yea OS .. umm yea .. xp is the more stable OS .. and less power(not liturally power like wattage) hungry .. but if ur gona get a 2.4ghz quad core or 3.0ghz duel core with lots of ram then i guess it doesn't really matter... vista is handy i'd say .. like u can jst press the window key and type like 3 letters of the program u wana run and hit enter .. and it'll run it(there are other circumstances like if thers another program with same startting letters etc.) which is way cooler than windows button 'r' .. then typing the exact thing u need to run... theres also linux .. but i'm guess u don't really know how to use that...

Xp is stable and faster

Vista is prettyer, has DX10 support and for me the searchbar thing wen u press start .. oh and more secure than xp .. but doesn't matter that much unless ur like some topsecret spy, but then in that case u'd have other security too ..

or Linux, most secure of the 3, but lacks in software support (or should i say ease of software support), but u said u were gona run vmware so ..

or u could jst duel boot or triboot ..

Oh and u can also install mac OSX on it .. but i won't go into that ..

ScOuT

VIP Member
Curtains is right, the proc you buy will come with a heat sink and fan combo. It is an intel one but it will work fine as long as your not overclocking. You can save money there. I use on board sound and I get great sound quality. I have a 7 speaker logitech speeker system and it pounds! You could save some money there. I think you should put the the extra money in the Q6600 proc, better screen, and better PSU.
And for the motherboard...There are cheaper boards that you can get. I use the "ASUS P5N-E SLI" and it only costs $120. I have a Q9300 Quad in it with no problems yet. And I am a fan of Asus EZFlash BIOS tool...update BIOS in about 2 minutes. That is another option to save a few bucks!

If all you do for gaming is the Sims. Here is an XFX 8800 GS for $99. This card will play the Sims just fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150295

The screen....I would think 17" is kinda small. Here is a 19" ASUS for about the same price, I think you will be better off with this. This one is only $164
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236029

As for the PSU...I personally think this is one of the most important things. I would not trust that PSU that comes in the case, you spend too much money on everything else to roll the dice with a junk power supply.
The motherboard you picked has a 24 pin power connector, check the PSU that you buy and make sure it has what you need. (12v rails, 24 pin power connector, at least 450 or 500 watts, name brand) You should be able to find a decent one for about $50 bucks or so. With the tasks you are doing, you don't need a monster PSU like some people.

For the oiperating system...Xp will be cheaper than Vista. I actually like Vista. I have been running it since it came out and never had a problem. Only maybe 2 programs I have tried to install have not been able to...other than that it's been great to me. I have Ultimate 64bit on notebook and Home Primium 64bit on desktop.

These are just my recomendations for ya. But ask 100 computer guys this questions and you get a 100 different answers! Good luck with the build!

XION II case
Antec 650w PSU
ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard
Intell Q9300
Corsair XMS2 800 MHz 4x1GB
EVGA 9800 GTX
WD 160 GB Hard drives x2

Last edited:

Shawnhill07

Thx for all the post, I will take your guy's advice an go with the quad proc, as well as the cheaper motherboard, i will be overclocking(need to learn how to do this). I am going to bed will make a new wishlist and post it up so you guys can see if itll be better. Wanting speed more then anything and muilitaskin ability as the virtualpc running 5+ machines will need it. while searching the web. if anyones has a similar wish list post it up for me? if not i can do it after im done with everything today. thx again guys lots of help.