computer build.

Newb88

How is this for a build..Would like to save money without sacrificing performance.

Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3Ghz
AsArock Z68-Extreme-Gen3 Intel Z68
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G
Powercolour 3GB 7970 PCI-E VGA
Samsung SATA 22x Black DVD
Intel SSD 520 120GB SATA3 7200rpm
WD 3.5" a black 2TB
CoolerMaster Haf 912 Advanced NO PSU
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo

The computer will be used mostly for Gaming I.e SWTOR, GW2, D3 and hopefully other games I'm interested which may come out over next 3 years.

any tips would help thanks.

Newb88

OS - Windows 7 Home a premium, the place I can get it build will put the Os on for $93, which is better then buying from store for 120

PSU - I'm currently deciding between a corsair HX650 or antec HCG-620. But I've been told not together the Antec in modular form

Okedokey

You could probably save $500 if you built it yourself (at a guess) but you wouldn't get warranty etc. Just make sure you they do a good job at cable management, use quality thermal paste and install the latest drivers.

Newb88

Hey I'm thinking of replacing the Corsair with the Antec HCG-620W which is a little cheaper. The price is killing me atm 2,011 (w/ GST). My Parents don't trust me in building it, no matter how many times I've tried to convince them, so thats another $100 to the price.

The components itself without OS/Build cost/GST is just on $1600 (Changing Corsair to Antec).

I'm using G.Skill ripjaw, is there much difference between these and Patriots besides being $5-10 more expensive?

and Given the games I like playing (Waiting on D3, GW2, Also play SWTOR, WOW > most RPGs, SKYRIM, MASS EFFECT) will a AMD Radeon HD 7950 suffice or would it be better to go the AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
In all honesty if you're only planning on playing those games you could use a 560 TI and be fine.

If you have the money and want to spend it have it but you could pay a lot less if you're only planning to play those games.

Okedokey

In all honesty if you're only planning on playing those games you could use a 560 TI and be fine.

If you have the money and want to spend it have it but you could pay a lot less if you're only planning to play those games.

This cannot be said with any validity unless you know what resolution the OP is planning on playing games at. At 1920 x 1200 BF3 ultra, the 560ti would suck.

To the OP, what resolution is your monitor that you will be gaming on?

Newb88

I usually play at 1920 x 1200. I replaced the Corsair with the Antec 620! Just because I was told it will do the job I need it to do for $40 less.I ordered the machine. will post pics when it's complete. Thanks for yo help.

Gary1

Hey I'm thinking of replacing the Corsair with the Antec HCG-620W which is a little cheaper. The price is killing me atm 2,011 (w/ GST). My Parents don't trust me in building it, no matter how many times I've tried to convince them, so thats another $100 to the price.

The components itself without OS/Build cost/GST is just on $1600 (Changing Corsair to Antec).

I'm using G.Skill ripjaw, is there much difference between these and Patriots besides being $5-10 more expensive?

and Given the games I like playing (Waiting on D3, GW2, Also play SWTOR, WOW > most RPGs, SKYRIM, MASS EFFECT) will a AMD Radeon HD 7950 suffice or would it be better to go the AMD Radeon HD 7970?

There was not a link for either brand G Skill or Patriots, but I can tell you look at the timing Corsair makes some really nice stuff. These are really fast. Look at the Cas Latency Lower is better.

Cas Lat of 7 is going to be awesome.

Last edited: